http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070306/61627961.html

3rd serial Su-34 fighter-bomber to take to the skies in November

13:57 | 06/ 03/ 2007

NOVOSIBIRSK (Siberia), March 6 (RIA Novosti) - The third serial-production Su-34 Fullback fighter-bomber will make its maiden flight in November 2007, the manufacturer said Tuesday.

Designed by the Sukhoi Design Bureau, the Su-34s will replace the Su-24 Fencer frontline bombers. Experts said the new bomber has the potential to become the best plane in its class for years to come.

"We are working on three Su-34 aircraft at present and one of them is almost ready for delivery," said Fyodor Zhdanov, general director of the Chkalov Aircraft Production Association in Novosibirsk, in West Siberia.

"The third serial aircraft is expected to take to the skies in November this year," the official said.

Russia's Air Force received its first two Su-34 fighter-bombers last December.

The $36 million Su-34 fighter-bomber is a two-seat strike aircraft equipped with twin AL-31MF afterburning turbojet engines. It is designed to deliver high-precision strikes on heavily defended targets in any weather conditions, day or night, and fields weaponry that includes a 30mm GSh-301 cannon, up to 12 Alamo or Archer AAMs, ASMs, and bombs

Air Force Commander Vladimir Mikhailov said Tuesday that Russia will need about 200 Su-34s, to be on active duty in the next 30-40 years along with modernized Su-24s, which are expected to be gradually replaced over the next 20 years.

Mikhailov said the Air Force is planning to buy six Su-34s in 2007 and continue purchasing 10 new aircraft every year starting in 2008.

Speaking about the future projects, Zhdanov said that the Chkalov plant will also participate in the manufacture of Russia's fifth-generation multi-role fighter designed by the Sukhoi Bureau.

"The final assembly of the aircraft will be made in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, but we will be responsible for assembling the cockpit [for the new planes]," the official said.

Russia has been working on the design of a new advanced fighter, which is supposed to replace the existing fleet of MiG-29 Fulcrum and Su-27 Flanker aircraft, for the last three years, and its first test flights are expected to start in 2009.

No match for the Strike Eagle!!! At least we have an air-to-air kill with ours and alot of dead terrorist!! :worship:

Okay, you're maybe joking, but haven't we learned anything from the previous Su threads. No comparisons needed here. :lol:

Strike Eagle is the Eagle with most balls, that's true. :cheers:

No match for the Strike Eagle!!! At least we have an air-to-air kill with ours and alot of dead terrorist!! :worship:
Not quite the comparison you'd want to continue. The equivalent of F-15E is Su-30MKx, not Su-34. Fullback is a different league with the range figures approaching strategic bomber Tu-22M.
Is the Su-34 another variation on the basic Su-27 airframe? Anyone got a pic?

su34.jpg

su-34-line.gif

You'll notice the two seat cockpit, with the side by side seating, reminiscient of other aircraft.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Certainly is unique, while still showing its obvious lineage to the Su-27. They sure are getting the maximum mileage out of that basic design, aren't they?

I'd worry about losing the tip of that tail boom on landing and takeoff rotation, though...I wonder if it's a problem.

It`s just an amazing looking beast!!! Quite apart from its` obvious capabilities, It just growls menace.

The Russians haven`t built anything this aggressive looking since the Firefox :thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

You'll notice the two seat cockpit, with the side by side seating, reminiscient of other aircraft.

Regards,

Murph

Yes I never noticed it before (although I really do not pay attention to Russian aircraft), but that canopy and side-by-side cockpit reminds me of the F-111 Aardvark :thumbsup: .

Regards,

Don

Su-30M, MKx....... :thumbsup: Jeez, Su-27/30 suffix letters are getting more complicated than F-16 Blocks! This looks like a cross between the Flanker and the Fencer. We are always seeing new seemingly one-off Flanker-based airframes, so can somebody answer me these questions:

How many versions of the Flanker are there?

How many Flankers does the Russian Air Force have in service, meaning operational squadrons?

This model of Flanker is like the F-22....looks goofy on the ground but fabulous in the air.

Chappie

Oh yeah! :doh::cheers:

This rocks! Soon "A new batch of 10 Su-34's for the Russian air force arrived" Will be an everyday sight...

EWWWW!! I feel discusting, my name is my favourite aircraft and i havent done the Italeri kit...