1/48 SAAB Drakken  

94 members have voted

1. 1. We need a good kit

• Yes
    • No

A 1/48th Draken is needed badly,just look at how many years it was in service with Sweden,Denmark,Austria,Finland and we still dont have a kit for it! Of course I would really like both the single and two seat versions if thats not asking too much from the model companies. :thumbsup:

Mark

There's an old 1:48 ish Draken from Lindberg - it needs a lot of work!!!

A lot of work is an understatement, here is a look at what you are in for to bringing the Lindberg kit to somewhere close to 1/48 scale

Regards

Jim Barr

draken4wi.jpg

There's an old 1:48 ish Draken from Lindberg - it needs a lot of work!!!

Jeremy Neo built one: 1:48 Draken

:thumbsup:

Darius

L O T S of work. I've got one of the aforementioned Lindberg kits, and I can tell you, it's not very good. I'm basically holding out hope that someone will make a decent one, so I can get rid of that Lindberg thing. Same thing is true of my Lindberg MiG-31 in 1/48. See a pattern there? Lindberg.... 1/48..... wait for better kit....

jb

As far as I'm aware, off the top of my head, no it has never seen combat...

I voted for a kit of it too..........honest!! :thumbsup:

There's loads of types I'd love to see in 48th scale, but it's pointless really, as I'd never get around to building 'em, would have to live to around 150 I reckon, provided the stash I would have built up don't disentergrate before hand!!

Do the kits have a finite life? Just thought of this, know there's is loads of old kits out there, but does the plastic degrade after a while?..........

Talk about coincidence , Dave Lochead from Kiwi Resins is "considering" making a 1/48 Draken.

More can be found on HS's Discussion Forum

I'm not sure if that's good news or not. On the one hand, a superbly crafted 1/48 Draken would be really nice. On the other hand, I don't want my only 1/48 option to be a very expensive resin kit. Hopefully we'll get some satisfaction from some company doing an injection molded version.

jb

I'm not sure if that's good news or not. On the one hand, a superbly crafted 1/48 Draken would be really nice. On the other hand, I don't want my only 1/48 option to be a very expensive resin kit. Hopefully we'll get some satisfaction from some company doing an injection molded version.

jb

Correct!

I prefer an injection molded kit.

A resin kit will be more expensive and in smaller numbers...

YES,YES,YES,YES .......and YES !!!!!

A Draken in 1/48 is sorely needed and bloody well due.

Now then ,those 6 who voted NO........step forward and make yourselves known :)

Paul T

Very, and used in service for a VERY long time! Did the Draken ever get any combat time?

No combat, but a *lot* of peacetime intercepts, including some rather unlikely (and unique!) ones...

In addition to numerous photo intercepts of Soviet aircraft over the Baltic, the Draken is also credited with the only intercept of the Blackbird ever recorded. I've seen the memorial plaque gifted to the squadron that performed the intercept, by the pilots that flew the Blackbird...

(at the time, the USAF made near daily recon flights with the blackbird in the Baltic Sea, and very frequently they'd cut across Gotland on their way home. This would generate an official complaint from our government, and each time they'd get blown off by the US ambassador. Finally someone laid out a trap for the Blackbird and two Draken interceptors were placed on alert on Gotland to wait for the next Blackbird. The intercept was a textbook "elevator" attack, with a zoom climb timed so that the blackbird would pass straight through their missile envelopes as it overflew them...)

SP