1/48 AH-1W & 1/48 UH-1N

I searched the forum before I posted, didn't want to be from the Department of Redundancy Deptartment.

Does any company make a 1/48 AH-1W? I've got a built one in 1/35 and a -1T still in the box, but I'd really like one in 1/48 to go alongside my CH-46 and CH-53.

I'd also like a curent huey in 1/48 to go with my Marine Air Wing on the shelf.

Or will I have to wait for the -1Z and -1Y to be kitted?

Hey Lem, how's it going!

1:48 AH-1W - Italeri makes one. Their AH-1Z kit is just a W with some extra sprues to build a mock-up version of the Zulu.

Italeri also had a 1:48 UH-1N in USAF 20th SOS markings. IIRC, this is a rebox of the Heller kit but with different decals. Cobra Company makes a resin set for it and MAW decals has a sheet of 1:48 Huey and Whiskey decals. Both the Italeri and Heller boxings are OOP, so keep an eye on eBay or try the marketplace here.

As for the final version of the AH-1Z and UH-1Y, there's no kit that I know of.

Edited by Trigger

Cool. Thanks for the leads. I've been bouncing around the webstores, just putting together a wish list of sorts and I was having trouble finding these two helos. I'll have to keep my eye out for them, but that'll have to wait until after the move to "The Crossroads of the Marine Corps" in the next month.

I definitely think I'll be getting some of the CobraCo resin sets to update my helos when I get to them.

O/T: Trigger, I've still got your copy of Fletch, in a box to send back to you, but I've held it so long, I need to add something to the box, got any requests?

LJ.

The Italeri UH-1N is a rebox of the ESCI. Not sure if Heller's is the same kit, but I've got one building right now and it is a sweet little kit! As Grant mentioned, it comes with USAF 20th SOS markings, but I believe Cobra Company has an update set for it in 48th to make a proper USMC bird.

I'm doing mine as an HH-1N from the USS Guadalcanal in 1992. Gotta find decals!

Jon

I could be wrong, and that's a big possibility (just ask my wife) but I don't remember a 1/48 ESCI UH-1N?

But that's beside the point.

If you're going to build a 1/48 USMC UH-1N or AH-1W, the Cobra Company conversion sets are well worth the money!

Here are a couple of pics of each model where both CC sets were used;

148USMCCOBRA-2060.jpg

H-1N1045.jpg

Pete

Pete, those are some nice photos, and that is exactly what I'm hoping to eventually have on the shelves.

Andy, I'll have to get those MAW decals, since I think they're literally just down the road from me here at Camp Swampy. Gotta have USMC markings, or it just isn't right. And I'm convinced that the CC update sets are a must-have too.

Thanks for all the help. I knew someone here would have the answers.

148USMCCOBRA-2060.jpg

H-1N1045.jpg

Pete

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! REAL NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cobra sets are works of art, they are almost drag and drop simple. I really recommend you get them from Chris, you won't be disappointed.

Shark

Give Squadron Mail Order a shout, They may have the Heller UH-1N..... just a maybe.

Pete

I checked Squadron last week and only saw an H-model. I'll have to check again. I'm looking for a 48th N-model Huey, I want to model one from the 89th Airlift Wing, call sign Mussel.

EDIT: You are correct! I missed the Heller kit somehow. Anyone ever built this kit?

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
since I think they're literally just down the road from me here at Camp Swampy

LemonJello, were you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Chappie, i have the Heller kit and it looks like it is probably a rebox of the Italeri one. keep in mind i've never seen the Italeri one, but it has some features i've seen in Italeri kits.

LemonJello, were you from, if you don't mind my asking?

Chappie, i have the Heller kit and it looks like it is probably a rebox of the Italeri one. keep in mind i've never seen the Italeri one, but it has some features i've seen in Italeri kits.

Leatherneck224, for about the next month, I'm doing time at Div G-6, living over on Oregon St right now. Then I pack the family up and we move to Quantico (so I'm dragging out my current project and not starting anything new until I get set up at the new place), gonna be working at Marine Corps University, can you believe that?

Oh! And MAW decals now has a UH-1N & AH-1W decal sheet in 1/48 called "Leatherneck Featherweights." No sexy nose art or anything, but it'll at least give you some more-correct gray markings, stencils & strip lights.

Andy

Andy,

When I asked, I was advised that the MAW decals for the -1W and -1N are both for time periods later than 1992. Undoubtedly, stencils and other parts would still be useful.

Regards,

joe.

I looked over the Leatherneck Featherweight sheet. Looks like exactly what I want/need. I'm not all that particular about what unit I model, I just want some good, accurate modern markings, since they'll probably go right next to my -53 and -46 with their OOB markings

Now, I've just got to find the kits. Oh, well, nothing like a good kit search to make the build that much better.