Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane Mk1

This is the new Trumpeter 1/24 Hurricane. Its a real nice kit in my opinion. Heres the standard cockpit all straight from the box. I like the sutton harness although it is a little on the rigid side. Better than nothing though. It has some nice cockpit wall detail too.

hurricane2.jpg

hurricane1.jpg

hurricane3.jpg

Edited by gunpowder

Oh, I agree Gunpowder... Trumpeter has themselves a very nice Hurricane. I still have the Airfix kit in my stash. It was to be my second build of this kit. The first one was smashed in a move. I'm going to buy and build this kit and bash the Airfix kit for parts.

How's the engine detail in the Trumpy kit? Is it as good as the Airfix kit?

Randy

Oh, I agree Gunpowder... Trumpeter has themselves a very nice Hurricane. I still have the Airfix kit in my stash. It was to be my second build of this kit. The first one was smashed in a move. I'm going to buy and build this kit and bash the Airfix kit for parts.

How's the engine detail in the Trumpy kit? Is it as good as the Airfix kit?

Randy

I have left the engine out of mine. the Trumpeter kit had alot to live up to when it comes to engines. The Airfix Hurricane has the best Merlin produced i would say. The Trumpeter one is not that good im afraid.

I have left the engine out of mine. the Trumpeter kit had alot to live up to when it comes to engines. The Airfix Hurricane has the best Merlin produced i would say. The Trumpeter one is not that good im afraid.

Hey Gunpowder, thanks for the reply. That Airfix engine is pretty hard to beat.

Randy

Thanks Guys.

Randy , i ended up putting the bare engine block in just to give be something to attach the prop and exhausts to. I think it would look amazing with some Airfix engine bay stuff.

Heres the main fuselage halves joined. No gaps at all and a real nice kit. The side panels are clear as you can see but the fit is excellent. Now i think the Prop looks OK but im no expert. If anyone can comment on the general shape etc that would be cool.

hurricane7.jpg

hurricane9.jpg

hurricane10.jpg

Forgive me but is there some discrepency between the spinner and the "nose" . The former appears of greater diameter?

David

You have a keen eye David. I'm no Hurricane expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the aircraft and have a ton of references on the subject. Hopefully someone with more knowledge might step-in.

But... I do know that the 'Cane did fly with two types of spinners. This one "appears" to be a prop spinner from a Spitfire. I took a look at page 68 of the Aero Detail #12 on the Hurricane and there's an excellent photo of a Mk I with the Spitfire spinner attached. It matches up nicely with Gunpowder's photo. My only regret is the Trumpeter didn't supply the proper Hurricane spinner. A slightly narrow O.D. as you mentioned, but it has a pointier end as well. And the oil shield is missing on the engine cowling. However the surface detail of the spinner and cowling looks great. The prop is spot-on as well.

Randy

Edited by Randy Wise
Thanks Guys.

Randy , i ended up putting the bare engine block in just to give be something to attach the prop and exhausts to. I think it would look amazing with some Airfix engine bay stuff.

Heres the main fuselage halves joined. No gaps at all and a real nice kit. The side panels are clear as you can see but the fit is excellent. Now i think the Prop looks OK but im no expert. If anyone can comment on the general shape etc that would be cool.

Nice work Gunpowder. Keep us posted. If you don't mind, I have another question for you... does the fuselage include the panel shapes for the various covers that went along both sides of the fuselage?

I ask because when I built my 'Cane I cut these out of the Airfix parts and added the metal framework underneath. I'd like to do the same thing to the Trumpeter kit.

Randy

You have a keen eye David. I'm no Hurricane expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I love the aircraft and have a ton of references on the subject. Hopefully someone with more knowledge might step-in.

But... I do know that the 'Cane did fly with two types of spinners. This one "appears" to be a prop spinner from a Spitfire. I took a look at page 68 of the Aero Detail #12 on the Hurricane and there's an excellent photo of a Mk I with the Spitfire spinner attached. It matches up nicely with Gunpowder's photo. My only regret is the Trumpeter didn't supply the proper Hurricane spinner. A slightly narrow O.D. as you mentioned, but it has a pointier end as well. And the oil shield is missing on the engine cowling. However the surface detail of the spinner and cowling looks great. The prop is spot-on as well.

Randy

If I remember correctly, the "pointier" spinner and oil shield showed up on the Hurricane Mk II. The Airfix 1/48 scale Hurricane I gives you both the Spitfire spinner (Dowty?) and the "proper" Hurricane (Rotol?) spinner, which has a pointed tip, unlike the blunter Spitfire spinner.

Great work so far gunpowder. The HUrricane isn't really my thing, but you've done a real nice job in painting that cockpit.

This one "appears" to be a prop spinner from a Spitfire.

Good eye Randy. It looks like an exact copy of the spinner and prop that came with my big Trump Spit.

Thanks Guys. By the way the seat should be Green not brown. I think you are correct. I read that they fitted Spitfire propellors as they ran out of the Hurricane units. I wish they had have included the other unit too.

The fuselage panels are all molded in im afraid.

I don't know which magazine it came from, but I have a copy of an article, by Peter Cooke, about his research on Hurricanes. He found that there were four spinners, including the Rotol, designed for the Spitfire I, which, he says, was slightly too large in diameter. There were, also DeH spinners, for the metal prop, a later Rotol spinner, for Jablo props, and the very early DeH spinner, which was designed for early Spitfire Is, with wooden props, e.g. in France.

Hurricane seats were metal, therefore green; the red seats, in Spitfires were a paper/resin mix, which explains the colour (they were not Bakelite.) One thing, that I've noticed, from the photos; I don't know what the harness represents, but it, certainly, isn't a Sutton harness. It consists of four straight, blunt-ended straps, with holes, through which went a pin, which was held in place by a triangular-shaped clip.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar