New HH-60G Mount

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

I have been thinking about them too and was thinking about using the extra (non cable-cutter fitted) landing gear arms that come in the Academy 1/35 kits. They are parts #s D44 and D45, and are listed as not used items. They looks like they could be a good starting point.

What were you going to use as the ammo boxes? The ammo box on the OH-58D looks as though it could be modified to look right.

Good luck and let us know how they come out.

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

I don't know what to use for the ammo boxes, mine will be in 1/48th so it will be kinda hard to scrap everything together. I like your idea of useing the landing gear arms.

Jake

From what I can tell those are the ammo cans for the OH-58D. However the cans for the 58D are for .50 cal so they probably did some modification to hold the 7.62 mini-gun ammo. It looks like some sheet styrene and some rounded stock could be used to make the shape in 48th scale Erick

Well, just got back from our weapons shop over at the squadron. Our new external ammo boxes are definately not the same as the OH-58D, although the OH-58D's .50 cal boxes could be modified to work. Actually it wouldn't be too hard to make them from styrene card. Here's the deal, our new cans can take 7.62 GAU-2B (you Army folks call them M-134s) ammo or .50 cal ammo since we can (and do) mount both weapons on the new mounts. To load it up with 7.62 we use a spacer in the can.

Here's the good news.....I've taken a buttload of high detail photos and have all the dimensions which I'm going to include in the photos. I'm talking about the external ammo cans, the external gun mounts, the yokes/cradles that our .50s are mounted on and even their attachment points on the MLG sponson. I plan on sending this entire collection to Prime Portal and then post a link here to include a bunch of other shots of our HH-60Gs showing the nose compartment details, interior cabin details, and even the main cabin heater that we use up here in the winter in Alaska (doing missions at -30 is dang cold).

The bad news.....I'm taking a couple weeks of leave and taking the family to Hawaii (again...dang cod here lately in Alaska), and will be leving in two days so I probably will have to do this after I get back.

More good news.....it promise it will DEFINITELY be worth the wait.

Stay tuned.

BTW, a bit of trivia for you HH-60G lovers out there. I always thought the CC ammo internal box (or was it the kit ammo box?) looked a ittle to high in the cabin after installation. Well, at first they were that tall. But after our first deployment to A-stan we (and other Pavehawk crews) found it was just to high and really interfered with ammo loading and got really cramped considering the suspension shelving that we use directly over the ammo box. Then comes Dillon to the rescue. Just like they fixed our old GAU-2s by creating the better feed mechanism and port latch to make clearing jams a cinch, Mr. Dillon designed a new internal ammo box that was shorter but still held the same amount of ammo. Gotta luv that guy. Of course now its a moot point since we use the external cans, but there ya go. Also in case you didn't already know, the internal box was actually two boxes side-by-side; one for each gun. Each side could further be divided into two bays if you were stationed at Nellis and wanted to look cool by mounting .50s in the door (wink-wink to Grant and Gino). That way you coul feed the window guns and the cabin guns. Anyway, when we had the two window guns installed with the internal ammo box, sometimes you would feed both guns from te front of the box and sometimes you would feed one gun from the front, and one gun from the back. The difference would be where you put the ammo chute aperature and link booster (drive moror to pull that long belt of ammo into the GAU-2B or even .50 cal).

SO again stay tuned and I'll post the pics...probably when I get back. Oh, and I'll probably get some shots of Kaneohe Bay's CH-53Ds and maybe a few other Helo's as well.....wen I'm not doing the mai tai thing on the beach that is.

Guest LITTLE BIRD 117

If you sent the pics and stuff needed to make them to CC he might be able to make them in both 1/48th scale and in 1/35th if you ask him. Thanks for the news, I can't wait!

Jake

Great info on the weapons mounts and ammo cans. It was the Academy kit ammo can that was too tall, or at least the original height. I cut 1/8" off the bottom of the kit ammo box and add an angle iron flange to it with Evergreen angle iron to get mine the right height for the new cans in 1/35 scale. I second the idea to send all the pertinent data to Chris at Cobra Company. They would be nice to see in resin and widely available.