USAF gets its first Reapers

And the only prescription is more cowbell!

On Topic: Continuing the beginning of the demise of the pilot?

:cheers:

Mike

I doubt it, nothing replaces a pilot controlling a fighter within the area of engagement. No computer or remote control can replace that.

As a supplement for a scout or similar to what the Predators are doing against the terrorists and Taliban, though, it would be excellent.

:)

MikeJ

RAF have apparently made a request to buy a couple

Read an article a few months ago about RAF ops using preds. Basically it seems we just share them with the US and our guys are integrated with the US guys operating them from their base in the continental US. We have a similar kinda deal with US spy satellites - we pay a (small) portion of the costs and then get given access to their intel from them.

Won't be long before the RAAF expresses interest. These would be perfect for patrolling our northern coastline.

Good thinking, Mike. :cheers:

APPARENTLY, they have already been shown. (found via Wikipedia)

As a supplement for a scout or similar to what the Predators are doing against the terrorists and Taliban, though, it would be excellent.
Also, at the presentation that I got on it, the briefer (42d Attack Squadron Commander) was very happy to say, repeatedly, that they could haul the same ordnance payload as a Viper out and back for 4 hours each way, and still loiter in the target area for 34 hours.

Those things could be used as (now, this is one of my brainf*rts :lol: )aerial fire bases. Only they'd respond faster and would be more accurate (or less devastating to the surroundings) than tube artillery.

I read an article on the ongoing fights in Afghanistan and how the Taliban would shoot at British "forts". Apparently, not much could be done against that as other platforms would take too long to intervene. Conventional perimeter defence has at least forced the Taliban to shoot-and-scoot. Now, with one of these thingies loitering above these forts, they'd have barely come withn firing range and they'd already have "gotten the good news" from above.

Also, hiding from a fast-jet for two or three hours is bad enough, hiding for a full day is something else.

Bring on the Reapers - not to replace manned fighters, but supplement where appropriate.

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Good thinking, Mike. :thumbsup:

APPARENTLY, they have already been shown. (found via Wikipedia)

Yep, the RAAF already purchased UAV's last last year, but I like the idea of instant airborn punishment to illegal fisherman and drug smugglers :cop:

:cheers:

MikeJ