Selfridge Serpent Completed!

Here's the first of my entries in the Reserves Group Build. Kit is the 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D. Not too much to say about construction that hasn't already been said. Markings are from Fox One Decals for 85-573, "Captain America", from the Michigan ANG based at Selfridge AFB. Decals performed admirably. I had a little trouble with the Captain America marking itself. I don't think I let it sit long enough in the water, and it promptly separated into two halves when I removed the decal from the backing paper. I replaced the wingtip rails with the LAU-129s and added the RWRs. The intake and engine covers are made from the tops of yogurt containers. Airframe is painted with Model Master enamels, and an enamel wash. Rather boring training load with 3 gas bags, AIM-120, and a training round. The fluorescent red on the training round isn't nearly as vivid as it looks in the bottle. Comments and critiques are welcome (and encouraged). Thanks for looking!

Brian

100_1225.jpg

100_1226.jpg

100_1230.jpg

100_1234.jpg

100_1237.jpg

100_1238.jpg

100_1240.jpg

100_1228.jpg

100_1235.jpg

Looks great. The 127Wg is definitely one of my favorite units.

I suppose it's too late now, but the AMA pods in the unit are yellow, for whatever reason.

Jake

106-107.jpg

Here's the first of my entries in the Reserves Group Build. Kit is the 1/48 Hasegawa F-16D. Not too much to say about construction that hasn't already been said. Markings are from Fox One Decals for 85-573, "Captain America", from the Michigan ANG based at Selfridge AFB. Decals performed admirably. I had a little trouble with the Captain America marking itself. I don't think I let it sit long enough in the water, and it promptly separated into two halves when I removed the decal from the backing paper. I replaced the wingtip rails with the LAU-129s and added the RWRs. The intake and engine covers are made from the tops of yogurt containers. Airframe is painted with Model Master enamels, and an enamel wash. Rather boring training load with 3 gas bags, AIM-120, and a training round. The fluorescent red on the training round isn't nearly as vivid as it looks in the bottle. Comments and critiques are welcome (and encouraged). Thanks for looking!

Brian

Great seeing another home-state bird! Well done Brian! Since you asked for critiques, the only thing I see is the small air scoop on the leading edge of vertical tail. That should not be there on D models.

Looks great. The 127Wg is definitely one of my favorite units.

Really? Next time you're at Selfridge let me know! I live five minutes down the road.

Since you asked for critiques, the only thing I see is the small air scoop on the leading edge of vertical tail. That should not be there on D models.

Nor the vent on the RH side beneath the cockpit. Also an F-16C-only vent.

Next time you're at Selfridge let me know! I live five minutes down the road.

I'm sure I'll be there sometime over the summer. I've got a project with them coming up.

Jake

I'm sure I'll be there sometime over the summer. I've got a project with them coming up.

There is the bi-annual Selfridge Air Show this July, celebrating USAF's 60th anniversary and Selfridge's 90th anniversary (I had no clue it has been around for so long!). Let me know if you can make it, if so the drinks are on me!