Cockpit and seat wash

Madness, wait for more posts as these guys know a hell of a lot more than I do. Heres what has worked for me.

I myself have only weathered my cockpit and ejection seats using enamel based washes. I believe that the enamel wash when thinned has less surface tension then acrylics so you'll see more cappilary action when you touch a corner with a thin brush.

As far as that worn look for the seats, instrument panels and combing I have always dry-brushed enamels. I've never tried it with acrylics. As I said in my first sentence wait for some more posts its really amazing what these guys on here know.

Good luck.. -EJ

Madness, I have used pastel chalk for weathering the interior with pretty good results, and if I screw it up I can wash most of it out with clean water and a wet brush or q-tip. I usually will do the weathering when the paint is tacky. If its completely dry, then I spray a small amount of dull cote on it.

However, from what I've been taught with acrylics is to mix a small amount of paint with water first, then add water or paint accordingly to get to the shade/hue you desire, the more water the lighter the hue, the more paint the darker. I suggest experimenting first on plasticard or an old model.

Maveryck

Another disadvantage to using acrylics as a wash is they dry so fast, it's hard to remove/manipulate them. If you can get to a local hobby shop they should obviously have enamels, which thinned with mineral spirits are a far better bet. I still personally prefer oils, which you can get at pretty much any art and craft store.

Edited by volzj

Normally a wash is a different media than what you're applying it to, so that it can be easily removed without harming the finish underneath.

One option you do have however is to try out the Tamiya Weathering Master sets. They're a thick powder (not unlike makeup for women) that you can apply with a wet brush, and use water to remove the excess. Unless you're applying them to a fragile water soluble paint, they will not have any effect on the underlying finish.

Pastel chalks will work too.

Washes are easy! Just put a gloss coat down first- that smooth surface allows the thinned colors to flow easily around details. It's best to do do several very thin layers of wash. Start with a general dark tone- black with a hint of you base color. I use oil paints, but acylics or artists' watercolors will do as well. If you 're using water-based paints, touch your brush to an old scrap of soap to break up surface tension. After a basic wash, follow up with specific little touches around details, ribs, etc, using a browner shades. Here's a couple of WIP shots of my AmTech Ta-183.

Tub_04.jpg

Gear_Doors_01.jpg