1/48 Mitsubshi F-2B Date Masamune

Now that I finished, WELL, almost finished, my A-4N (you can find it on Critics corner) I can star another JASDF fighter.

Since my daughter just love blu aiplanes I will build a F-2B starting from the XF-2B kit that I bought for cheap a couple of years ago. To build it as an operational arframe I will do this mods: replace the pitot tube and use Platz Decals instead of the one in the kit!! LOL!!

I think the major problem with this project will be the white plastic of the kit. Will try to assemble the kit ASAP and give each sub- assembly a coat of gray primer. That way will be much easier to check for any faults.

I think that even the legs and the air intake that need to be painted in glossy white will gain from gray primer.

So just wish me luck and keep an eye on this Group Build in the next few weeks!

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio

A small update today just to show you what has been done till now.

As you can see I glued the two cockpits and the wings.

2isz3g4.jpg

Wings needed a little surfacer to fill the gap in the lower part.

I didn't open any hole in the wings since I will only add a fuel tank on the central station to this airframe.

Surfacer was also used to fill the ejection marks inside the air duct.

There were 4 ejection marks in each part of the air duct but I sanded flush the first two in each side.

The next think to do is to give a gray primer to those cokpits in order to see something and start painting and detailing them.

4061tte.jpg

^ Ditto

What color did you use for the cockpit gray?

well I just mixed up some Vallejo basic colors: white, gray and blu. Vallejo are the most easy to brush. Black part got a drybrushing with Model Master Chrome.

Now I need to paint seat cuscions. In one of my photo those are all flat black, just like the seat, but in another phtoto those are hemp/buff, any idea of the colour that is better to use?

Paolo

After a good modelling week end it is time for an update.

I cut the two small conical antennas to the side of the cockpit, otherwise it will be impossible to sand the area. Nose cone need extra attention a good amount of putty. You will need to san the putty without taking away the raised lines that run over the radome.

2igf8rm.jpg

30lov2d.jpg

More putty is needed on the fuselage, just after the wings trailing edge. To fill the small gap in the wings to fuselage joint I choose to use Mr. Surfacer sinc using sand paper in that area can distrupts too many panel lines and nice details. Two stripes of tape wer eused to cover panel lines on the model in order to avoit filling them with the surfacer. When the surfacer wnet dry I remove the excess with a cloth dipped in rubber alcohol.

2yza4pt.jpg

Canopy was sanded with Micro mesh cloth, polished and then dipped in Future to restore shining.

4e1dllh.jpg

29w47pe.jpg

This soft black wash was intended not to give a preshading to the model but to check that I didnt fill any rivets. It is so hard to work with white plastic that one must do all it best to avoid mistakes. More updates to come later. ....

2i74x7p.jpg

2hzpv6v.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Ok, I think you needed better photos.

So I gave the model a coat of gray primer to check for faults again.

47l4uqb.jpg

Canopy was masked with Tamiya tape and held in position with PVA glue. I'm thinking about closing the canopy on this kit since I have almost all my JASDF planes with open canopy and also because I like the gracefull lines of the F-2B with the closed canopy. This one will also be unarmed and with just the central pylon. Time will tell...

2qk2s1h.jpg

As you can see I leaved the tail off. That piece can be build apart and istalled at the very last moment. This way it will be much easier to paint the camouflage.

4i3itev.jpg

I also leaved off the air intake. That is the most complex part of this, care is needed to glue all its part and to paint them. Since the air intake fits perfectly to the fuselage I will glue it later on.

40l0scx.jpg

Here I'm using Mr. Mask to mask the bird slicers antennas that need to be kept gray.

2ymhiu0.jpg

The radome was also masked with Tamiya tape, and now the kit is ready for the blu, Horray!!!

2mwb1io.jpg

Thank you Esa, I was just thinking on how much cut them! :doh:

They are shorter, but still there.

Your photo also shows the mechanism to open the canopy in the closed position. I badly needed that detail since I want to keep my canopy closed. Any additionale phtoto of it would be appreciated.

Paolo :thumbsup:

Your photo also shows the mechanism to open the canopy in the closed position. I badly needed that detail since I want to keep my canopy closed. Any additionale phtoto of it would be appreciated.

Paolo :cheers:

Here, Paolo.

21sq04.jpg

21sq02.jpg

Regards

Edited by tengu
What !!!! u've got TENGU STICKERS.............pleeeeeeeze tell how to get them ! :crying2:

C6

here you are a couple of Japanese web shops, unfortunately there is no English word to help you ordering, you must go on blind just like I did when I ordered F-2 DVD from amazon.japan

http://www.mo-skynet.com/sticker/airplane/index.html

http://www.norimono.cc/butai.asp

Hope this heps

Cheers

Paolo

Edited by Paolo Maglio

Now the light shade of blue is painted. Sorry Eli, I'm still using the pot I made for the F-2A and the F-4EJ so I can't tell you the percentages of colours I used.

33opji9.jpg

I already made some xeroxs from the painting guide so tomorrow will be able to spry the dark blu.

Meanwhile I added a soft black wash on the panel lines of the lower surfaces.

2nimvbb.jpg

Waiting the paint to dry I'm working on the legs adding brake wires and wheels.

I also think that wheel well need a bit more detail but can't fing good enought photos so far.

2dk0rdg.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio