so..here is my first in progress post. this is tamyias 1/48 lancaster, and as it says its my third time building this model.

it started out as a dambasters which i built when i was 12. didnt turn out to well. round 2003 i tore it apart and rebuilt it as a mk10mr by making my own bomb doors olut of sheet styrene and LOTS of squadron putty. again..didnt turn out to well. :D

a couple of months ago i purchased leading edge's lancaster SAR sheet and as i was browsing ebay looking for a cheap model, i remembered this was ina box in the basemnt, so out it came again.

so far ive disassembled it, stripped the paint, rebuilt most of the fuselage, and started working on the engines nacelles.

03.jpg

here are the wings while im in the middle of stripping them. on the left you can see the outline of the camoflage from the original build, and on the bottom right, my (feeble) attempt at the SaR scheme the first tiem around.

01.jpg

here is the fuselage after installing the bomb bays, and filling some of fit issues. its going to need a lot of sanding for it to look right.

02.jpg

and finally here are the engine nacelles. i decided to go with the kits rather than the belcher bits, but im trying to save money so im gritting my teeth and sticking to my decision. the fit is UNBELIEVABLY bad and it requires lots of super glue, sanding and repeating. i think im close to 10 hours of jsut sanding and reshaping to get this to look somewhat right and fit on the wing half decent.

well..thats where it stands now, any comments and tips would be great.

thanks, sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000

Well Sean,

Unfortuanately I am unable to offer you any tips or suggestions, but only my admiration for tackling such a huge undertaking :D

Hopefully one day I will have the courage to do something like this.

:)

Ted

so, after many hours and a LONG night last night i caved and decided it was time to purchace the Belcher Bits lancaster nacelles. it wasnt bad, $30cdn at the LHS.

the instructions are decent;its pretty much self explanatory what has to be done.

04.jpg

here is the kit as it comes out of the bag. the oil coolers on the outer nacelles were smaller than the inner ones (never even noticed till i read the instruction then looked at a few of my reference photos :lol: )and they have these molded almost perfectly.

06.jpg

i started by cutting off the fronts of al the nacelles i ahd spent so many hours working on :(. i have leanred from my mistakes of the past adn actually took waht was written in the instructions to heart and cut the nacelles a little long then sanded them back to the proper distance. I have a habit of rushing things and try to save time, which usualy ends up in me sand ing for about a week at the end.

08.jpg

so i went ahead and glued them all together

the fit of the inner nacelles was a little worse than the outer ones, with the inner left engine being the worse. it almsot seem slike its slightly wider than the others, but a bit of putty and sanding and no one will be able to notice.

im hoping to get them all done and primed by the end of the weekend, weather permiting as i have to airbrush outside. hopefully ill have some updated pics by early next week.

sean

have a quick update for this one today.

like i said, i got the nacelles sanded and primed. they still need a bit of work round the seems of the resin and a few spots round the landing gear doors. shouldnt take too long to do then all they need is scribing and painting.

09.jpg

here are all 4

10.jpg

here is a close up of the inner nacelles.

11.jpg

and here is one of the outer nacelle

it will probably be a while till I get an update again. i dont get much time during the week to work on models and im probably going to focus on the PE of the swordfish any time i do get.

thanks for looking

sean

got a bit of work done on the naccelles over the weekend. i dont have any pics of them at the moment, but ill try to get a few in the next few days. im hoping to get the fuselage ready for a coat of primer in the next week or so. all it needs is a bit of sanding and masking off of the windows and such.

ill hopefully have another update by the weekend.

sean

• 7 months later...

well..it turns out the fuselage was a little harder than i thought it was and after a few weeks of super glue/putty and sanding i gave up and put this one aside. i have since pulled it out and done a bit of work on it.

i havent gotten a whole lot done on it but here a few pictures to update everyone since the last time i have posted.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

17.jpg

i have purchased the eduard photo etch zoom cockpit set so this will look a bit better than it does now. ive decided to put a couple of figures in the cockpit jsut to busy it up and hide the lack of detail included.

sean

i did a test shot with the primer on the one wing that i have sanded the detail of off. i was plannin to just see how much more work id have to do,when surprise, surprise... its pretty much finished!!! i have a few small areas that need rttention but over all i think it looks pretty good.

25.jpg

26.jpg

now i jsut have the bottome to do..then three more wings :o

sean

my word what have you done to this poor lancaster :blink: she's just crying out to be finished :wacko: i've never had any problems in fitting tamiya nacelles :salute:

looks like shes been in a scrap yard for 50 years :D

...ian.

• 3 weeks later...

well, i only received 1 of the eduard sets i ordered so i put it on the MKII, hence, this one is back in the"gotta get to it eventally" pile. ive got 6 others on the go, with 3 for a GB and one for a personal collection, so im going to focus onthos efor the moment.

sean

• 2 years later...

so..believe it or not...this model is still sitting on my shelf and I picked it up the other day. I have done some work on it and it is starting to look like a Lancaster again. Pilots are painted and installed, clear pieces installed and masked, and the airframe partially primed. The fuselage is almost all primed and I am getting ready to finish the wings. As soon as everything is smooth and primed..then I get to rescibe..so its still a long road ahead.

Pictures either today or tomorrow!!!!

Sean

• 1 year later...

so after almost 2 years...I picked this one up again. I am on a kick to get most of my "long term stasis" models built.

I have it all together, puttied and sanded, primed and pre-shaded. I did the same as my other long term build and instead of actually re-scribing i just fudged it using the pre-shading. all I have to do is blacnk off the nose turret openings then it is ready for paint.

A few pics:

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

Sean

Hi Martin

Did you by any chance fix the number of throttles in the cockpit? There are 3, should be, obviously, 4. Will you be doing the block tread tires too from Belcher?

My own experience with that kit is less than a pleasant memory. Cheers. Brian

I knew my mentioning this would help you finish it. Make sure you test the decals before you use them. On mine the lightning bolt shattered as did a good chunk of the black markings. Leading Edge fixed me up but I doubt he still has extras this many years on.

Looking forward to the decals your sending me, your coffee is on the way.

Hi Martin

Did you by any chance fix the number of throttles in the cockpit? There are 3, should be, obviously, 4. Will you be doing the block tread tires too from Belcher?

My own experience with that kit is less than a pleasant memory. Cheers. Brian

honestly I can't remember...the masks have been on for a few years now...I will see when I take them off I guess!!!

I knew my mentioning this would help you finish it. Make sure you test the decals before you use them. On mine the lightning bolt shattered as did a good chunk of the black markings. Leading Edge fixed me up but I doubt he still has extras this many years on.

Looking forward to the decals your sending me, your coffee is on the way.

good to hear...and yeah...your message kicked the gears on again. I should be painting this in the next few weeks and I REALLY hope my decals don't shatter...I have had bad luck with Leading Edge in the past. I may spray a coat of decal sealer on them just in case.

Sean

Now that's green modeling! Re-use!

You are lucky you can do this. Most of the ones left at my parents house were scrapped - my skills back then were just not there and I hacked up the plastic badly. I would have loved rescuing a hase sabre and a hase a-10 but oh well...

Keep it up, I would love to see more!

• 4 months later...

picked this one up again..and you will be happy to hear I have started to add paint. As I am sure I have mentioned..this is in pretty rough shape and it is no where near a clean build..but I just want to get it done. It has been sitting around for WAY to long.

the only new picture I have is the filling of the nose turret gun openings.

034.jpg

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done the decaling. I should have some pictures up soon. I just haven't got them off the camera yet. I have a had a few issues with the decals crinkling, but I am willing to accept them at this point.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...

as promised, I have pictures!

All I have left is the dull coat and then a few smaller bits and it is finished. Should have it done in the next week or so.

day-glo painted:

039.jpg

040.jpg

and on the bottom of the wing:

042.jpg

masked for the aluminium:

044.jpg

046.jpg

all painted and ready for decals:

048.jpg

054.jpg

Thanks for looking,