While waiting on the decals to dry on my F-4EJ, I started my F-2B in 1/72 from Hasegawa. Here is the progress so far. The kit looks great in the box, I just hope I can do it justice.

F-2Bstart.jpg

Rodney

The parts break down is similar to their F-16 kits in 1/72. When building my F-16B, I had some trouble with the intake pieces. This time, I tried a new tact. I glued the nose wheel bay to the right side and then added the intake. Then, I attached the left intake side. Unfortunately, this did not work as well as I'd hoped. It'll be back to gluing the left and right sides first next time.

Here is a photo of the right side of the intake.

F-2Bintake.jpg

I got most of the major pieces assembled. I still need to do some clean up and check seams. I went down to the hobby store in El Paso yesterday to get some Tamiya paints to start mixing the colors but turns out they don't carry them. To bad, I was hoping to start painting today or tomorrow. I'll have to put an order in somewhere.

F-2assembled.jpg

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress but haven't posted pics in a while. Some of the static discharge pieces were broke on the kit, so I replaced all of them with bristles from a toothbrush. I'll trim them after painting. So far, no real problems with the kit. Just need more time to dedicate to modeling....

F-2Bparts.jpg

F-2Brudder.jpg

F-2Btail.jpg

Finally got my order of Tamiya paint in so that I can try getting the blue colors. As a starter, I painted the fuel tank to see how the color came out. Its hard to pin down since it looks slightly different in every picture!

Also, sorry about the poor focus here.

Here is a pic without flash and no photoshop manipulation:

F-2noflash.jpg

Picture with flash and no photoshop manipulation:

F-2flash.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the light blue turned out and will hopefully paint when I get back from the Easter weekend.

Let me know if you think the color is reasonably close.

Edited by Rodney

Rodney,

I really love your work guy !

I've got the same kit in stock and I've got a quick question : did u fill the seam between the wings and the main body ? I've done it on my F-16A Hasegawa but wasn't sure of the final effect....

BTW....your F-2 blue seems to be very fine.

Best regards,

C6

Rodney,

I really love your work guy !

I've got the same kit in stock and I've got a quick question : did u fill the seam between the wings and the main body ? I've done it on my F-16A Hasegawa but wasn't sure of the final effect....

BTW....your F-2 blue seems to be very fine.

Best regards,

C6

C6,

Thanks.

I used some Mr. Surfacer on the seam between the wings and body to make the seam look more like a normal panel line. I believe the line is supposed to be there. I'm at work right now, so I can't double check my references.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, got some time to sit down and do some painting. I posted about 140 items to eBay over the past two weeks and that sucks up a lot of time. I'm finally about done with that. Painted the dark blue this afternoon. Used a combination of paper mask and blue tac.

The pictures don't do the colors justice. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the colors turned out.

F-2Camoside.jpg

F-2Camoangle.jpg

Edited by Rodney
Finally, got some time to sit down and do some painting. I posted about 140 items to eBay over the past two weeks and that sucks up a lot of time. I'm finally about done with that. Painted the dark blue this afternoon. Used a combination of paper mask and blue tac.

The pictures don't do the colors justice. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the colors turned out.

F-2Camoside.jpg

F-2Camoangle.jpg

Wow!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after being TDY for a week I did get a little work done today. Most of the work was in hand painting the little details. Almost ready for a coat of Future. I'm hoping to do that this week but I may have another trip that I'll have to go on. As Paulo had a problem with the center line fuel tank on his 1/48 build, I've encountered the same issue. The pylon fits on the tank backwards. Backwards the cutouts fit fine. Flip it around the way it supposed to be and things don't quite line up. I've already snipped the two pegs and glued it on properly.

The way it fits:

F-2fit.jpg

The way it should go:

F-2shouldfit.jpg

Progress so far (not much but getting there):

F-2detailpainting.jpg

Sorry about the poor pictures. The lighting wasn't the best so I did some adjustments in PS.

Thanks,

Rodney

Edited by Rodney
Looking good Rodney! BTW, did you follow the paint callouts in the guide (Gunze Sangyo), or did you mix your own paint. It looks like you got it right!

Eric

Eric,

The paint is a custom mix using Tamiya paints. I'd have to go down stairs and check the bottles for which paints I used but they are based on Dr. Fester's mix from one of his F-4EJ builds.

Rodney

• 1 month later...

So, after a six week TDY for work I got back to the bench. I finished the flat coat tonight. After this its get the Bare Metal Foil off and a few odds and ends. Almost there... just before the dead line. I really like the blue camo scheme on this bird!

I do need to take better photos and will try for the finished model.

F-2flat2.jpg

F-2flat1.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney