To all you Naval aviation experts:

Although I have been an aviation buff since I was a kid, there is a lot I don't know. My question today, is how to identify a US Navy Reserves aircraft - what markings denote this? Never having served, some of this minutiae eludes me.

Thanks,

Michael

Okay. This coming from an Air Force guy, are you being facetious? AF as in Air Force?

In particular, I am talking about older Navy jets from the 50's.

No - AF is the air wing tailcode for CVWR-20, the reserve carrier air wing (includes VFC-12, VFC-12, VFA-201, VFA-204, VAQ-209 and an E-2 squadron whose number I don't remember). Just like the tailcodes for active duty air wings. It doesn't actually stand for anything per se, other than each air wing has its own and A denotes Atlantic Fleet while N denotes Pacific fleet (AB=CVW-1, NE=CVW-2, AC=CVW-3, NK=CVW-5, etc).

Regrettably I do not know the two letter codes for the P-3 squadrons, or the air wing codes that were used in the 50's.

But you might want to poke around the net, there's probably some site out there that lists tailcodes and what they denoted back in the 50's. That's pretty much how you'd ID a squadron as being in the reserves.

Whoops, sorry guys. I learn something new everyday.

Thanks for all the good info.

I am trying to come up with a good idea for a last minute submission because my P-47N build is becoming a real struggle. I am having many fitment problems requiring much putty. Nothing ****** me off more than too much putty...and sanding, and scraping, etc.

-Michael

But you might want to poke around the net, there's probably some site out there that lists tailcodes and what they denoted back in the 50's. That's pretty much how you'd ID a squadron as being in the reserves.

I found a really good site about the history of Navy and Marine aircraft markings.

U.S. Naval Aircraft Marking

Now if I could only find some interest decal sets.

-Michael