A Lightning build in more ways than one!!

Wooo Hooo!!!! I've finished one at last!!! :)

After a "sabbatical" from the hobby lasting over 30 years and inspired by what I saw on ARC over a year ago I decided to use my ancient skills once more. I struggled with my first model (a 1/48 Tornado GR1 which started out as the Airfix kit and rapidly became the Italieri version when I discovered how bad the Airfix kit was ..........) which got put aside after 9 months when the "fiddly bits" stage was reached.

Armed with a new resove last Christmas I started the Airfix 1/48 Lightning F6 and to my amazment I finished it today despite bits being knocked off faster than I was attaching them during the dreaded "fiddly bits" stage :cheers: . I'm also stunned that it only took 3 months to finish - In my youth my builds proceeded at glacial speed so 3 months is "lightning fast" for me.

I added the Cutting Edge cockpit, CMK wheel wells and Aires exhaust plus a few pieces of PE from the Flightpath set in the cockpit. Paint came from Xtracrylics and Alclad with weathering done using a combination of pre shading and chalk pastels. Decals came from the kit, Cutting Edge and some custom made decals for the names on the nose.

DSC00042.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00047.jpg

DSC00048.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00055.jpg

DSC00056.jpg

All comments and criticism welcome. I'm off for a beer or two before starting on a Tamiya Spitfire Vb Trop.

Thanks for looking,

Ian :nanner:

Many thanks to all for the kind comments.

Moritz - yup it is the second (not counting the Airfix Tornado that is now a source of spare parts). Here's a photo of the first - an Italieri Tornado as she is now (and has been for the past 6 months) languishing on the bench waiting for me to tackle the "fiddly bits" once again .............. perhaps after I finish the Spitfire <_<

DSC00057.jpg

Cheers,

Ian