A-10 & Hellfires

Theoretically then could a hog carry 24 of these at a time? In the quad configuration.

Uhah, I thought the 16 Apaches can carry was scary. Imangine your enemy tanker driving down the road with your formation of 30 tanks and APCs with infantry in support. You get word 2 Hogs are headed in your direction. Even without the full Hellfire capacity, those two hogs can, theoretically, can wipe out every vechile with the HFs, and every man in the formation with the 30mm and other ordnance that they would still have space for!

Scary Stuff if you think about it!

They'll probably design in some RFHO capability so it can carry L model Hellfires and get RF Handovers from Longbows for target data. That'll give some Fire and Forget capability. But honestly, do ya really want to forget a missile you've just launched at a target in this combat environment?

Jon

They are putting HF on the A-10 to fight the current war...which you are well aware of the "issues" associated with how we are fighting now....launch and leave or shooting without "eyes on" is way out of favor. Now if this was the Cold War...T-72/82's coming down the gap and just putting rounds downrange...RF HF would have merit.

A lot of platforms are going the HF or "modern, small weapons with high yield warhead" route to deal with today's conflict. The A-10/Laser HF combo will be a very welcome addition....working across the circle from them has been a treat...and that is just with the gun and GBU-12's.

Looks like we all might have another weapon to stick under the Monogram 1/48 or Trump 1/32 kits. Guess the aftermarket folks will be all over this.

Cheers

Atis

I think everyone alive has that book! It's a classic! Anyhow, I'm also wondering about how the A-10 is going to successfully designate for it's HFs. Let's not forget that the Hawg can now carry the Litening pod, which can designate for Hellfires. Hmm... I was just drooling over the idea of a podded Longbow radar, with a whole mess of Radar Hellfires, and the Hawg launching all of them essentially at once.

Hmm... I was just drooling over the idea of a podded Longbow radar, with a whole mess of Radar Hellfires, and the Hawg launching all of them essentially at once.

Depends on the target set, but for what the A-10 is doing today.... not likely. The land target sets that Radar Hellfires would be useful against is a thing of the past. There once was Longhorn Maverick.... a MMW Maverick variant that was the same as Radar HF....that died on the vine with the Cold War .... that would have been fun to play with.

Atis

They are putting HF on the A-10 to fight the current war...which you are well aware of the "issues" associated with how we are fighting now....launch and leave or shooting without "eyes on" is way out of favor.

Situations or circumstances could change.

Ves :(

Situations or circumstances could change.

Ves :beer4:

I agree. Unfortunatly recent upgrades (from small arms to arming combat aircraft) have been reactive to the current situation that we are still learning about...not proactive....thinking of the next conflict....hence my comments.

Guess I need to start hording 1/48 and 1/32 Hellfires from those AH-1 and AH-64 kits for my A-10 build when I get home.

Cheers

Atis

Since they're smaller weapons, how many will an A10 be able to carry i.e. in a normal loadout...

You can't really tell since we don't know what pylons and launchers they will be using. If they were using the quads, 24.

Will

Keep in mind that the A-10 owes a lot of its effectiveness to the fact that it carries a large and diversified weapons load, so you probably wouldn't see a ton of them on a Hog, especially in today's conflicts.

- Tom

Edited by Tom Silkowski