Well, this one has been sitting on the shelf long enough......time to blow the dust off, and build it. This build will be as close to OOB as I can stand, with only aftermarket decals (specifically TwoBobs) being added to the build. I'm not going to bother adding detail to the landing gear bays, or anything like that......not because I'm too lazy (even though I am), but because this kit was a Christmas gift from SWMBO :) , and she even paid Cdn retail for it......while on maternity leave. Wouldn't seem right to try and improve on that kind of present.

At any rate, I'm here with a pretty minor update. Engine dolly is finished:

P3231580.jpg

And the engine halves are ready to be closed up. The various "guts" have been painted with Citadel acrylics (both the white and the metallics), and weathered with Tamiya powders. Hopefully this will give me a relatively realistic effect. Of special note is the burnt blue effect on the flame holder, as it is powder, as opposed to paint.

P3231579.jpg

P3231574.jpg

P3231577.jpg

I'll be back with more once the engine is done, and temporarily sitting on the dolly.

<_<

Question: What kind of powder was used for that burned effect? ;)

Anthony, the powder is from a relatively new set of Tamiya Weathering Master, Set D to be precise. It includes Burnt Blue, Burnt Red, and Oil Stain.

The burner can is Light Sand and Soot over my coat of Citadel Skull White.

I have all four sets, and use them regularly.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about this kit. I hope you have hours of pure enjoyment building it, Kevin, especially given where it came from! ;) The engine dolly and engine progress look awesome so far. Where did you pick up the Tamiya powders? I have not yet seen them in my LHS.

:D

Thanks to all who have commented and/or looked in. While the Viper doesn't really interest me (sacrilege I know), I'll enjoy the project nonetheless given where it came from.

Where did you pick up the Tamiya powders? I have not yet seen them in my LHS.

That's quite surprising Jamie, as every shop around here carries them. Try asking for them by name: Tamiya Weathering Master.

Set A: Item# 87079 (Sand, Light Sand, Mud)

Set B: Item# 87080 (Snow, Soot, Rust)

Set C: Item# 87085 (Orange Rust, Gun Metal, Silver)

Set D: Item# 87088 (Burnt Blue, Burnt Red, Oil Stain)

Failing that, drop me an email or PM with your address, and I'll hook you up.

:thumbsup:

Thanks to all who have commented and/or looked in. While the Viper doesn't really interest me (sacrilege I know), I'll enjoy the project nonetheless given where it came from.

That's quite surprising Jamie, as every shop around here carries them. Try asking for them by name: Tamiya Weathering Master.

Set A: Item# 87079 (Sand, Light Sand, Mud)

Set B: Item# 87080 (Snow, Soot, Rust)

Set C: Item# 87085 (Orange Rust, Gun Metal, Silver)

Set D: Item# 87088 (Burnt Blue, Burnt Red, Oil Stain)

Failing that, drop me an email or PM with your address, and I'll hook you up.

:D

Thanks Kevin, for the info! :( Maybe I was not looking in the right place. I shall try again.

:cheers:

SWMBO went to the gym last night after the baby went to bed at her usual 1830h, so I hit the bench, and pretty much got the GE ready for installation. I still have to paint the exhaust nozzle (gloss black undercoat is drying right now), and of course, add some grime, but here it is in it's present state. Of course, the dolly will make a perfect stand for the engine until it's ready to go into the fuselage.

As always, all paints are acrylics. Citadel for the metallics, with Gunze and Tamiya being used for everything else.

P3251586.jpg

P3251587.jpg

P3251588.jpg

P3251589.jpg

Thanks for looking.

:)

Looks good Kevin,

You'll enjoy this kit a great deal. It's a marvel of engineering. Note, expect to have to glue that engine into place if you want the final kit to look proper with the engine installed. It tends to "droop" in the fuse unless glued.

Here's a teaser !!!

f-16fin010.jpg

Ron

Edited by ron

Now THAT'S FRICKIN AWESOME Kevin!!!!! Never expected less from you though :) I have to get those Tamiya paints,like everyone else will now! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Tony

Thanks guys. So far, I am enjoying the build. Lots of detail painting to do before assembly steps, so progress has been fairly slow (at least for me)

Note, expect to have to glue that engine into place if you want the final kit to look proper with the engine installed. It tends to "droop" in the fuse unless glued.

Thanks for the tip Ron. I figured I'd end up losing the detail of the exposed engine, but I'm going to try my darndest not to let it happen. At the very least, I have photographic evidence that it's there.

I have to get those Tamiya paints,like everyone else will now!

P3251590.jpg

Don't stay at home without them. :D At $10 for each set, they're a pretty painless way to weather pretty much anything. At first, I thought they would only be good for armour, but now that I am used to them, I use them on everything. You'd be surprised what you can use them on. I've even used them to post shade an entire fuselage. I haven't used the paint markers on anything but armour yet.....a bit too thick, unless you want to portray a CF-188 going off-roading. :lol:

:cheers:

Hey Kev! Whats going on here? You build a Starfighter and so did I And now I start an F-16 and so do You. Are we in some kinda compotition I dont know about. Stick to the Prop thingys budy. Just kidding ofcourse. Looks like your doing an awesome job so far. I am definatly going to invest in those powders. The count down to CapCon begins.:)

Trev

Thanks guys.

Hey Kev! Whats going on here? You build a Starfighter and so did I And now I start an F-16 and so do You. Are we in some kinda compotition. The count down to CapCon begins.:)

Trev

I'm so far behind you in modelling skills Trevor, I pale in comparison. If this bird sees the light of day at CapCon, it will be in the Rookie category.

Thanks Dave and Tiger27.

is that D-set new ? havent seen it over here yet

I'm guessing that it is relatively new. I only picked it up a few weeks ago. Perfect timing actually.