OK boys, Heres the Deal :

I have been thinking about helicopter modelling for a long time, and have narrowed it down to

A Uh-60 variant

A Little Bird (Dragon's MH-6J, if i can find one)

A Merlin

I like the helicopters all equally, so could someone recommend one?

Thanks for looking,

Thanks X2 if you help :bandhead2:

Don't know anything about available Merlin kits. The Academy H-60s and Dragon's MH-6J are great kits. I love the Blackhawk and all its versions myself. I just finished an HH-60G in 1/35 using the Academy kit. My vote is for an H-60 of some type.

A 3 tone camo UH-60P from Korea ?

A 3 tone camo S-70L from Israel ?

A US medevac version ?

Well, I'm guessing it's 1/35 but maybe you think other scale ?

Make the one you love the much, or

Make the one you have most reference, or

Make the one you like the history behind, but

let us see what you build, :) :beer4:

Norbert

Yes, the current US Army version is the UH-60L.

The Academy Blackhawks and Pavehawks are great kits. They build into decent kits OOB. If you want some super-detailed ones, check out the hawk accessories from Cobra Company. I haven't used any of the Eduard or other PE sets for them, but they look good too.

For a standard Army UH-60L, the current Army type, all you need is the Academy UH-60A/L kit and the Cobra Company UH-60L Correction/Detail set. The kit is closer to an A model. For an L model, the step sponsons in front of the wheels, below the pilot's doors, were widened by about 10" to allow for an added roll stabilizer bar. The kit is also missing the FOD covers on the engine intakes. The CC set comes with the wider step sponsons and new intakes with the FOD covers. The square stabilator in the CC set is not an L model specific part, but is used on MH and HH models. For some great interior details, I recommend the CC UH-60 Blackhawk Detail set.

For a USAF Pavehawk, get the Academy MH-60G PaveHawk kit. It represents an early '90s Pavehawk. To upgrade it, you can use the CC MH/HH-60G Update and Detail set. At the least, you should add the wider sponsons since it is the same airframe as an L model.

For a US Army Special Ops Hawk from the 160th SOAR (Spec Ops Aviation Reg), get the Academy AH-60L DAP kit, actually an MH-60L since the US doesn't use the AH (Attack Helicopter) designation with Blackhawks. You can use any of the above CC sets to update it. Most of the MH/HH-60G set can also be used on it. You will also need the CC SOAR decals to get the appropriate shade of OD for the markings. Academy printed the decals in an awful yellow color.

The DAP kit is the best buy out of the bunch as well. It has the sprues from both the UH-60A/L kit and the MH-60G kit included, plus an extra sprue for the DAP specific parts.

I have done a UH-60L, MH-60L DAP, and a USAF HH-60G as well. Check them out at my Photobucket account; UH-60L, MH-60L DAP, and USAF HH-60G. You can read a blow-by-blow of the UH-60L and MH-60L DAP here. Here is more on the HH-60G.

Stand by for a new product from CC for H-60s soon too. Hint: they are in the pics for my HH-60G.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Edited by HeavyArty