This one has taken me roughly 3 months to finish a 1/72 model. At this rate, my great-great-great grandchildren will still have models to build.

Just finished a Hasegawa 1/72 F-4EJ Phantom with the Pre-50th markings from Platz decals. I didn't really get the patchy appearance that the F-4EJs are sporting but didn't come out to bad. Overall, the decals are pretty good. My major problem was where they become three deep in layering. Even with 2 coats of Future, I still got a little bit of silvering in a couple of places. Model Master enamels were used and Alclad for the metal areas. The pitot tube points down to much, but after shearing it off twice and finally getting it to stay, I didn't want to bend it to much more. I did add wire handles and Tamiya tape straps to the ejection seats even though it's closed cockpit.

Overall, I'm happy with the build. I just couldn't resist the dragons when I saw the decals for sale on HLJ. I hope you like how it turned out.

Also, here is a link to the build thread:

F-4EJ inprogress thread

F-4EJ10.jpg

F-4EJ8.jpg

F-4EJ6.jpg

F-4EJ4.jpg

F-4EJ1.jpg

F-4EJcockpitarea.jpg

Thanks,

Rodney

That a superb Kai Phantom!!!

I think in that schem it capures the essence of JASDF fighteres: heavy weatering and gorgeous special colour scheme.

You made it to perfection, especially since you made it in the small scale. I wish I would started mine in 48 scale, but one Phantom (made by me) is enought for this gorup build, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Rodney, did you repaint the clouds? Mine have no-where near the colour detail yours has. My decals look like toned down cotton balls compared to yours.

Phantom.....going back to paint the clouds.

Rodney, did you repaint the clouds? Mine have no-where near the colour detail yours has. My decals look like toned down cotton balls compared to yours.

Phantom.....going back to paint the clouds.

No, I didn't touch up the clouds. There are a couple of spots where you can see bleed through from the decal underneath but nothing to bad. What brand of decals are you using? Platz too?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...