1/48 Academy F-111F

There will always be someone dissenting about an a/c model that in most cases we build for ourselves.

Currently, I'm building a Monogram A-1H Skyraider from the "Tour of Duty" series. I'm not even finished with it, and I already have a couple guys giving me a crap about "over doing" the paint chipping on the cowling -- "No AF a/c would ever look that beaten up!!" Who cares? :rolleyes:

Besides, I don't believe this particular AF squadron ever existed, except in TV Land --- it's a OOB build, didn't bother w/research -- Why? Simply building to practice my weathering techniques.

If they think I over did it w/the cowling, wait til they see the leading edge, walkway, etc.... :whistle: I can hearing the whining now. :D

Maveryck

Exactly my point. I remember being in high school and being quite critical of myself historically, but in my recent return to modeling I have taken a much more laid-back approach, considering I'm here to enjoy this and just do the best I can. It's been so much more fulfilling.

Exactly my point. I remember being in high school and being quite critical of myself historically, but in my recent return to modeling I have taken a much more laid-back approach, considering I'm here to enjoy this and just do the best I can. It's been so much more fulfilling.

I totally agree with the both of you, in my early years of modeling I would kill myself worrying about every little detail, now I just try and get it as close to correct as possible and enjoy the Hobby more.

Bob

Historical accuracy is all well and good, and that depends on the model that I build. If I want something to be more than what's in the box, then I'll do some research, maybe a search on the web, a Squadron book, or some other source. But for the most part, I build because I totally enjoy it, even though I may have ruined more models than I've completed over the years that I've been in and out of this hobby.

Right now, I'm planning two dioramas, one of a F-84E, sitting out in the boneyard forgotten and the other depicting a A6M3 Zero sitting wrecked/shotdown...both will require research naturally. However, I'm not going to pull out what remaining hair I have left, freaking out over every itty bitty detail. Though trying to finds pics of a beat to hell Zero, has been a bit difficult, which I found somewhat surprising.

Maveryck

Edited by Maveryck
Besides, I don't believe this particular AF squadron ever existed, except in TV Land...

After posting the above statment, I began to wonder...hmmm...so I did a quick internet search and found the A-1 Skyraider Association...cool site. I speculate that the Monogram model is meant to represent a/c #058 of the 602nd SOS (tail letters TT). However, I don't know if the a/c actually existed. I did find a pic of a/c #056 on the site, so again I can only speculate that 057, 058, etc do exist and that is if the AF numbered their planes sequentially. I don't know how the AF numbered their a/c. I did find another a/c from the same squadron with #638.

That said and my doubts cleared (sortof) -- I'm still gonna weather the hell out of it -- accuracy, schmackuracy -- at least for this build ;)

Maveryck.