1/48 Academy F-111F

nice if we could get a state of the art 1/48 F-111 by someone like Hasegawa or Tamiya.

Bob,

I totally agree....time for for new molds from somebody....how about it Trumpeter? I'd even settle for RoG.

Excellent build regardless of the kit you had to work with!

BTW - where'd you get the refs for the markings on 387?... and where'd you get the decals?

The Ref. I used for this build was World Airpower Journal Vol. 14, pg. 83 & 85, sometime ago a guy tried to nail me on the tail color and markings but they are correct, part of the paragrah states" 70-2387 originally belonged to the 494th TFS, but was maintained and flown by the 493rd TFS Freedom organization during the war. while its red fin cap and main wheel hubs were overpainted yellow, it kept the 494th TFS patch on the right side of the fuselage " and another article I read about this mission was that the A/C had a very noticeable lean to the left side, I decided NOT to do this, think what would have happen had I placed it on a contest table leaning to one side :bandhead2:.

I'm sorry I don't remember who the markings came from, it's been sometime, however I do know it was all F-111's on it

Bob

Very nice...the F-111 is really growing on me, would like to tackle an Aussie one at some point, armed with AGM-142 I think :bandhead2:

Where did you get the GBU-28 from?

:blink:

Thanks for the kind words, I believe it came from HighFlight Replicas.

Bob

The Ref. I used for this build was World Airpower Journal Vol. 14, pg. 83 & 85, sometime ago a guy tried to nail me on the tail color and markings but they are correct,

I think this photo is the same as you have in WAPJ... but yeah, can't dispute photographic evidence from that mission no less:

70-2387_1.jpg

This bird was also on the Libya raid in 1986 as LUJAC 23. Seems I've also read somewhere else that this one hit it's intended target with the GBU-28 whereas 70-2391 did not... but guess which one AMT/ERTL provided markings for in it's 1/72 F-111F release with the GBU-28? :cheers:

was that the A/C had a very noticeable lean to the left side, I decided NOT to do this, think what would have happen had I placed it on a contest table leaning to one side

No doubt! :crying:

Again, excellent model you have there! :(