One or two H-3's were modified to look like Hind's for moviee work (Red Dawn and Rambo III)

Hi:

I don't remember Rambo as well, but the ones in Red Dawn were modified Pumas, I believe. And the US Army did modify some H-19s to look like Mi-24s. I've got a picture of the remnants of one sitting on the back of an M747 trailer at Fort Knox that I took about 8 years ago. I'll see if I can dig it up and scan it.

Cheers,

Scott

• 5 months later...

Even to this day, I kick my own @ss because I had several opportunities to get some pictures of the OPTEC aircraft while I was stationed at Fort Bliss and Fort Irwin, and I didn't have a frickin camera with me! :rofl::doh:

I was at Ft Bliss from 1992-1995 and saw the Hinds several times, we even trained against them (11th ADA Patriot). OPTEC, at the time, had 3 Mi-24's, several Mi-8 Hips, a couple of Mi-2 Hopelites, an Mi-14 Haze, an An-2 Colt, and a Ka-25 Hormone. Although they wouldn't officially say where they came from, some were captured from Iraq during 1991, but several others, including the Mi-14, were obtained from Germany. The only pictures that I did get were a couple of airshow pictures of the Mi-14.

While I was stationed at Ft Irwin from 1995-1997, OPTEC sent a Hind to one of the rotations during 1997. Again, I had no frickin camera and I was allowed to look around inside of the cargo area and I was able to look into the cockpit (Damn, a camera would have been handy by then. :( ).

Here isa picture of that Mi-14 in El Paso:

2376437030051667340S600x600Q85.jpg

As for the H-19's that were modified to look like Hinds, that was true, but they have since been wasted over the White Sands Missile Area as targets. OPFOR in Ft Irwin used JUH-1H Hueys as Hind simulators up until reciently.

Hi,

I'am from the Netherlands and I was last year at Yuma, where i took a picture of a Mi-24.

Can any wan tel me what the orignele serial and country of this Mi-24.

Tanks.

_DS21218.jpg

Unfortunately, OPTEC is kinda "tight-lipped" about serials and origins of thier aircraft. But unless it has been repainted, it may have come from Iraq of Afghanistan.

When I was Training up for my Deployment to Iraq @ Ft. Bliss Tx in El Paso, They were Based there there was 3 or 4 if i remember right an Mi-17 an Mi-6 and 1 or 2 Hip's they are a Joint Civilian. Army Operation, also saw one at Ft. Irwin in Ca when iwas in the Marines there against Opfor. and let me tell I Saw a Helo Dogfight 2 Super Cobra's and 1 HIND it was awsome!! anyway hope this helps you find your Info.

awesome!!!!!

do you have more details to that story? pictures? would really like to know how that dog fight went!

Shark

Those Hips get around. I saw one once land and park at the transient ramp here in SE Tennessee to fill up the tanks. I've seen some interesting things pass through here, but that was one of the more notable ones.