Rather than preshading under a bare metal finish (which has all kinds of potential complications) I'd lean towards postshading with Tamiya Smoke. I've seen some done this way (I'm figuring on doing it with a partially BMF'd P-51D that's next up in my build line) and they look great. I think you'll get a lot better control over the amount of "wear" you want to add this way too.

Preshading for me is not really an option as I use alclad and the entire aircraft is gloss black to start with.

Yes, that was the other thing that crossed my mind. But even if you don't use black as an Alclad primer, adding preshading on top of your primer is going to leave some weird looking imperfections once the Alclad is sprayed.

I think if you wanted to preshade a aluminium finish (although I have never done it) you could airbrush your aluminium finish, then use a gunmetal color to preshade you panel lines and then lightly mist more of the original aluminium over the top of that till you get the effect your happy with it. It should work in theory.

Not sure what you're planning on using for aluminum, but if it's alcad, like others have said I'd be very leery about preshading. Not only might some strange effects happen with the coloration (effects you may or may not want), but differences in the kind of surface between your preshade and the plastic or primer might show themselves in unwanted ways under alcad (and presumably some of the other BMF finishes out there)