English Electric Lightning F6

Finally finished something – my first in 9 months, Lightning F6. This is actually a reclaim and not a new build. First built about 7-8 years ago, she was a straight OOB F2A – not a very good one either. In here original finish, both the Green and Silver paints were straight out of cans and the underside was so thick, that most of the panel lines had vanished. There were gaps where they shouldn’t exist and decal films were embarrassingly visible.

Despite this, the kit sat in my loft; I just couldn’t bring myself to bin it. This is what she used to look like....

LightningF2A1.jpg

Just before Crimbo, I got a pang to build a Lightning and so I decided to try and make my F2A good. I removed as many parts as I could, then placed what was left in a poly bag and filled it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner – worked brilliantly. I did have to reclaim a few panel lines, and fill a few gaps with CA, but once I had given her a coat of primer, I was amazed at how good the detail was. I made the relevant parts changes required to make her an F6 then struggled to decide upon a finish and markings for a while – at this point I realised how very few after market decal sheets there are out there for Lightning’s.

I decided upon a bare metal finish, and for purposes of speed opted to use decals included in the few unmade Lightning kits in my stash – after some research on Airliners, I managed to cobble together the serial XR753, of 23 squadron.

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture011-2.jpg

The Silver is Alcad polished Aluminium, and although I have several shades of this, I didn’t want the overall Silver to be too bright, so I went for Halford’s Grey primer – this gave the right finish, but also allowed me to accentuate various panels in both brighter and darker metal shades. The real wow affect came when I gave the finish 4 or 5 coats of Kleer – this really brought it to life and in my opinion, gave it a very real natural metal effect. I would highly recommend this to anyone who hasn’t tried this.

seat before painting

Picture013-1.jpg

AFTER

Picture.jpg

seat after painting - poor image

I was quite limited to what I could do in the pit, but I did add an after market seat, to which I added Tamiya tape straps. I ran hydraulic lines down the main u/c legs – made from fuse wire and added Eduard’s RBF tags to the very few locations regularly seen on Lightning’s. One word of caution on Eduard’s tags – I used 1:72 tags, as the 1:48 are way too big.

Picture009-2.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture024.jpg

The kits pitot tube was removed and replaced with a length of brass rod which was then partially covered with Tamiya tape, into which some 1:48 RBF tags were cropped and the CA’d in place. The one thing I couldn’t do was add an air intake cover, as I discovered my radar cone wasn’t central 

Given this was a write off, I’m really pleased with the outcome and I’ve already stripped 4 more kits.

Gary

Edited by Gary West

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Well worth attempting a re work if you have something suitable - I got more pleasure from this than a conventional build.

Gary

Edited by Gary West
Superb job Gary. :)

That is seems to have been a real labour of love for you. Turned out great!

Did you airbrush the 3-4 coats of klear on?

Must try that.

cheers,

Mike

Mike - I used a broad brush and painted the Kleer on rather than air brush. I've air brushed Kleer previously and it took so long to acheive the same level of finish. Just watch those small bubbles as it dries.

Cheers - Gary

What a rebirth!!

Superb "save" and worthy of praise.

Nice work. B)

I MUST build a Lightning, even a quicky 1:72 one to have one next to my Hawk and Tucano.

:cheers:

MikeJ