I just wanted to point out that HobbyTown, located at 1201 Austin Highway Suite 102 in San Antonio is a great place. The sales people I dealt with were very friendly and helpful! They were kind enough to sell me a discontinued kit that they had in back, unsold that I have been looking for for quite some time. They had an exellent selection of paints, and kits. I will definately make that a priority for all of my modeling needs the next time I'm in town visiting my folks. Shop there with confidence.

Andy Parr

Edmond, Oklahoma

Hey there,

Yes that hobby town is pretty good. Only place in town that i can rely on to always have the paint i'm looking for and in stock. their prices are ABOVE retail, which sucks, but I like it for buying paint and other small miscellaneous items. I probably wouldn't buy a kit there, though. For kits, i go to Dibble's or check out the FS section of this forum!

Hey there,

Yes that hobby town is pretty good. Only place in town that i can rely on to always have the paint i'm looking for and in stock. their prices are ABOVE retail, which sucks, but I like it for buying paint and other small miscellaneous items. I probably wouldn't buy a kit there, though. For kits, i go to Dibble's or check out the FS section of this forum!

Dibbles is a good place but they don't stock the Tamiya paint I use. Their kit selection is good but price wise, to me they are the same as HobbyTown (no biggie to me). Hobby Center was where I used to go but they closed up shop for some reason. I guess what impressed me the most was the service and friendliness of the employees.

ALP

Dibbles is a good place but they don't stock the Tamiya paint I use. Their kit selection is good but price wise, to me they are the same as HobbyTown (no biggie to me). Hobby Center was where I used to go but they closed up shop for some reason. I guess what impressed me the most was the service and friendliness of the employees.

ALP

I have never been to hobby center because i moved here after they closed, but i've heard good things about them. the folks at dibbles and hobby town are very very friendly and knowledgeable.

But let's not forget the best place of all

HOBBY LOBBY

The people who work there dont know jack beans about modeling, but I love buying 1/48 Tamiya airplane kits on clearance for about $10, or using a 40% off coupon every other week.

I have never been to hobby center because i moved here after they closed, but i've heard good things about them. the folks at dibbles and hobby town are very very friendly and knowledgeable.

But let's not forget the best place of all

HOBBY LOBBY

The people who work there dont know jack beans about modeling, but I love buying 1/48 Tamiya airplane kits on clearance for about $10, or using a 40% off coupon every other week.

I agree! The Hobby Lobby on bitters had an M-35 dragon Wagon without trailer marked down to $25 last year! I snatched it up. Didn't get a chance to go there this time but maybe next year. The Hobby Lobby's around here in Edmond/OKC don't have much in the way of armor anymore. I think Hobby Lobby is getting wise to all of modelers taking advantage of the 1/2 off sales. The last one here a couple of weeks ago only had 30% off, go figure.

ALP

I agree! The Hobby Lobby on bitters had an M-35 dragon Wagon without trailer marked down to $25 last year! I snatched it up. Didn't get a chance to go there this time but maybe next year. The Hobby Lobby's around here in Edmond/OKC don't have much in the way of armor anymore. I think Hobby Lobby is getting wise to all of modelers taking advantage of the 1/2 off sales. The last one here a couple of weeks ago only had 30% off, go figure.

ALP

just go online every 2 weeks to their website and get the 40% off coupon.

Anyway, i wouldnt bother going to the Hobby Lobby on bitters anymore. I work right across the street there and go there about twice a week. i always clean up the clearance section :)

Hobby Center on Fredericksburg closed because they had lost their lease, and the owner and his wife were getting up there in years anyways (I heard him tell some shoppers during their closing sale that they were not in the best of health) and didn't have the energy to relocate and reopen all over again.

He did say that they were disappointed and upset, but they had also been trying to sell the store for a couple of years without any success. At Modelfiesta 26 in February of this year, they had one of the vendor tables, trying to sell off whatever they didn't dispose of during their closing sale.

I use Hobbytown USA for supplies and such, but haven't bought a kit there for some time. Dibble's is pretty good - I like looking at their older kit selection because I recognize so many of the kits I built as a kid. I don't care for Hobby Lobby, probably because I never see anything there that catches my eye, even with the 30-40% off sales.

King's Hobbies in Austin is good - I go there during their annual contest (King's is right down the street from the center where the local model chapter has their contest).

I have to agree, that HobbyTown in SA stands out as a good place for modelers. We've got two here in Austin, and they don't come close to what the SA store has in variety and scope.

You know, I found some Polyscale Isreal Khaki there and I think its better than the Model Masters color. I'm going to have to give them a call and get some more! As for Kings Hobby, never been there but I will have to stop there now on my way back to Oklahoma next year. I hope HobbyTown stays there, its easy enough to get to. The closest one to me is in Norman Oklahoma and thats an hour away from me! They had one closer to me at one time but it closed down.

ALP

I don't see Hobbytown in SA disappearing anytime soon - they were doing well enough to expand into the empty store behind them - all of their train and RC stuff went back there, and they added more inventory in the existing store.

Anyone ever seen that 25-lb cat they have there (named "Hobby")? He's bloody huge. He likes being carried around and all, but my arms get tired in a few minutes because he's so big :cheers:

Anyone ever seen that 25-lb cat they have there (named "Hobby")? He's bloody huge. He likes being carried around and all, but my arms get tired in a few minutes because he's so big :crying2:

yeah, that cat is adorable, and freakin big!! he was almost as big as the lady i saw carrying him around the store other day!

yeah, that cat is adorable, and freakin big!! he was almost as big as the lady i saw carrying him around the store other day!

Yeah, my son and I played with the cat while we were there. My Dad was amazed at the size of the cat. He seemed to have the run of the place Ha ha!

Andy

• 1 month later...

I need to hit up SA hobby stores the next time I have some cash. All I have in my area is a HobbyTown and unfortunately, they don't stock a whole bunch. Lots of kits, but their supplies is a little lacking. Maybe someone can help me remember the name of this one place up there in SA. It's in a brick building with those big metal bars in front of the main doors. It's old, lots of kits....LOTS of kits, and some R/C planes and trains and such. I think it was on the north side....

It was Hobby Center and it closed last February. That was where I used to buy Tamiya paint. they had so many armor kits in stock it took up almost 2 walls. Now its just Dibbles and the Hobby Town on austin Highway. The Hobby town is a good place, you should visit it first when you go to San Antonio.

Andy

I need to hit up SA hobby stores the next time I have some cash. All I have in my area is a HobbyTown and unfortunately, they don't stock a whole bunch. Lots of kits, but their supplies is a little lacking. Maybe someone can help me remember the name of this one place up there in SA. It's in a brick building with those big metal bars in front of the main doors. It's old, lots of kits....LOTS of kits, and some R/C planes and trains and such. I think it was on the north side....
  • 2 years later...

I was just in HT-USA-SA earlier today, and big changes are afoot! They're moving the main store to a new location off the 410 Loop, and it looks like the Austin Highway store will be reduced down to mainly RC stuff (that makes sense as they have the race-track in the parking lot.) The fellah I talked to today said they expected to have the new store open withing a week; the 'original' store looked like a bomb had gone off in it today - tons of stuff on pallets and dollies, staged and ready to go.

• 4 weeks later...

The new location is coming together nicely - I was just in there today. It's at 410 and Vance-Jackson, in the old Bernie's appliance and TV store. They still have all the old neon signs up, so plastic kits are currently stocked in the 'Home Theater' area of the store. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Where is that in relation to the contest site in Live Oak?

About 20 minutes drive south. Going from Live Oak, south on I-35, then bear right at 410, follow it around almost to I-10, and the shop is RIGHT at the end of the Vance-Jackson off-ramp. Getting back is simple; do the u-turn under 410 at Vance-Jackson, follow 410 back to I-35, and exit at Live Oak.

From Google maps:

Live Oak CC is gps 29.563026,-98.330174

HobbyTown is gps 29.514156,-98.533491

• 7 months later...

I guess it managed to slip through the cracks, but another shop had opened in the San Antonio area, Hill Country Hobbies out on TX-16/Bandera Road.

9355 Bandera Road, Suite 109

Ford's Landing shopping Center

San Antonio, TX 78250

The shop is still up and running, but has a new owner. They're just now getting things through the hand-off, but it's a nice little shop, and the ONLY place to get Gunze paints in Centex!!

• 2 years later...

I was just in Dibbles today, and want to pass the word that they have come into a huge collection of 2nd-hand decals.

Tons of 1/48th jets from Superscale/Microscale are the highlight! There are also lesser quantities of 1/32nd and 1/72nd too.

Get 'em while they're hot!

I liked Dibbles too, but my last visit there left a bad taste and I haven't returned. The shop is open to trades but the owner throws out asinine offers (and blatantly tries to rip you off) and my bid to help his local businesses ended there. Amazon, Scale Hobbyist, and Squadron all get my dollars, and a lot of them at that. When I go to a place where I want to talk modeling and be among like-minded individuals, and the owner ends up speaking down to his employees, and then his customers, then you lose my interest -- and quick!

Hill Country Hobby is on the NW 410 loop and they have a ton of kits that Dibble's doesn't, but it is much smaller. Then you always have the chains here.

Edited by Exhausted

I liked Dibbles too, but my last visit there left a bad taste and I haven't returned. The shop is open to trades but the owner throws out asinine offers (and blatantly tries to rip you off) and my bid to help his local businesses ended there. Amazon, Scale Hobbyist, and Squadron all get my dollars, and a lot of them at that. When I go to a place where I want to talk modeling and be among like-minded individuals, and the owner ends up speaking down to his employees, and then his customers, then you lose my interest -- and quick!

Hill Country Hobby is on the NW 410 loop and they have a ton of kits that Dibble's doesn't, but it is much smaller. Then you always have the chains here.

Hill country hobbies is the place to go!!!!