Record Breaking A-10 Flight - 104th FW

On March 30, 2 A-10 records were broken by pilots of the 104th FW out of Barnes ANGB. Here is a portion of the press release:

Barnes Air National Guard Pilots Break A-10 Records

March 8, 2007 (07-07)

(104th Fighter Wing, Barnes Air National Guard Base Westfield) – On March 30th 2007, Col Jon Mott will break an aviation record for the most documented flight-hours in the A-10 Thunderbolt II “Warthogâ€. The previous record was set by General James Skiff (ret) in 1999 when he reached 4,550. Col Mott will reach approximately 4,570 on the 30th.

Col Mott will be celebrating this milestone along with the two previous A-10 record holders, Major Gen James Skiff (ret) and Lt Col Ron Henry (ret) whose record was 4,430 hours set in 1997.

In addition, three pilots from the 104th Fighter Wing, Col Marcel Kerdavid, Lt Col Ed Sommers, Lt Col Ken Stiles will fly with Col Mott and break an additional documented record for the most combined flying-hours in a four-ship formation; achieving a total of approximately 15,550 combined flight hours. The previous record was set by pilots from Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana in September 2005 with 15,400 hours.

Here's the New Jersey KC-135E departing that was to refuel them

KC-135E_580032_17777_BAF_30Mar2007_108ARW_Middleton_01_DSC_8396.jpg

Colonel Mott departing

A-10A_800166_A10-0516_BAF_104FW_30Mar2007_Middleton_01_DSC_8409.jpg

The other A-10s departing

A-10A_790104_A10-0368_BAF_104FW_30Mar2007_Middleton_01_DSC_8434.jpg

a-10A_780644_A10-0264_BAF_104FW_30Mar2007_Middleton_01_DSC_8419.jpg

A-10A_780614_A10-0234_BAF_104FW_30Mar2007_Middleton_01_DSC_8441.jpg

Gee, and I thought it was gonna be a new world speed record! :)

Nice shots Ken! Even the Dead Sox jet... I do like the Springfield Falcons jet a lot! Lived in Westfield from 99-01 and I wish I'd taken pics back then.

Jon

thanks a lot guys!

Flyingfortress - the markings came off because the A-10 was so fast :thumbsup: I don't know if they are destined to leave the unit soon in preparation for aircraft change to F-15Cs

Jon - none of the jets had these markings back in 99-01 except for the Wing jet - but I know what you mean

Jeff - might be - not sure. The first 2 to leave went to Baltimore

Great pictures, Ken! The Ft. Smith guys were up here this week to steal some of our Hogs, and I heard that there were a bunch up at Barnes to go through the acceptance procedures on the 104th's jets (apparently 15 of their's are heading to Arkansas).

- Tom

Ken,

Way to go and good on ya for continuing to plug away at it. Be sure to send some of these to Richard. He's actually here in Orlando for the next two weeks on a family trip. I will be seeing him on Easter so I will let him know to expect something from you. It would be good if there was someway to find out who was in what jet. These are my favorites and well worth an enlargement or two. Shooting RAW yet?

A-10A_780647_A10-0267_BAF_30Mar2007_104FW_Middleton_01_DSC_8484.jpg
(my favorite shot of the day)

a-10A_780644_A10-0264_BAF_104FW_30Mar2007_Middleton_01_DSC_8593.jpg

Wonderful shots Ken. I agree on your pic of the favorite pic. It looks like it ought to be on post cards for the Mass area.

each of the A-10s did 2 high speed passes

did you just use "A-10" and "high speed" in the same sentence? :blink:

thanks Tom, Steve, Fuji, Darwin, BeeJee and Keith.

Tom - the end is approaching, eh?

Fuji - thanks on Richard. A fellow photog is supposed to do an article for them on this. Have not even tried RAW yet - I keep forgetting!

Keith - yeah, yeah, I need to stop using the oxymorons :thumbsup:

Darwin - the good thing about the A-10 is even going fast, it's fairly easy to photograph :unsure:

Wow Ken, more Great Shots ! Do you think the local Sticks know you're there and want their picture taken now ? :whistle::beer4:

Congrats to all the Gents that scored records also !

Thanks !

Gregg

Very nice shots.

Anyone notice how clean those planes are ?

Just out of the paint shop for this?

Or A-10's don't go fast enough to get rock chips through the paint? just kidding!!

thanks, their jets are usually very clean. The ones without markings are headed to Ft Smith, Arkansas

Cool pictures Ken, saw one of their birds today at the MacDill show. Didnt fly though, just on display.

Robert

thanks Robert - as I got into the tower, there was a solo one that took off before all the rest, and I assumed he was headed to a show because I never saw him return. I missed getting a shot of him.

Great pictures all, but that Red Sox high speed pass is certainly the best.

thanks David

Nice shots Ken. What kind of gear are you using?

thanks. Nikon D50 with the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 lens

Great shots as always Ken!! You ever thought of submtting the photos to Combat Aircraft magazine????

I agree with Fuji's two picks...those are fantastic shots.

thanks Colin - yes I have :)

Nice pics!

thanks Jay

Wow Ken, more Great Shots ! Do you think the local Sticks know you're there and want their picture taken now ? :thumbsup::crying2:

Congrats to all the Gents that scored records also !

Thanks !

Gregg

thanks Gregg - I think the tower folks might tell them they are being photo'd. They are very accomodating and generous

Wow,

I love the A-10 and these shots are great, thanks for posting then Ken.

It does amaze me the condition of these aircraft.

I also did not know the A-10 could do a high speed pass :beer4:

Julien