Here we go again. This kit was a gift from my friends as an attemp to divert me from building german aircrafts.

So what the heck, i have to give it a go. There are a few rewievs about the kit, so i won't go into details. So let me present the main actor.

The kit with CMK parts

normal_Il2-parts1.jpg

Books i have borrowed from a friend for refferences...

normal_Il2-parts2.jpg

Now, i have to reconsider who the real friends are... looks like a lot of work....

Il2-parts3.jpg

Some progress. I've opened the bomb bays, but they didn't go in as smoothly as expected. They are way too thick, so i had to sand them until i was able to see through them. The same goes for the wings.

Il2-gears1.jpg

Dryfitting of a cockpit...

Il2-gears2.jpg

... but some surgery will be needed to fit everything in place.

Il2-gears3.jpg

Here we go. After studying my refference books I've came to conclusion that the wooden wing version is much more appropriate for this kit than the metal one. Since the wing has 5 deg. sweep there is a good chance that the wing had wooden outer panels. So it was time to fill the panel lines with squadroon green putty.

Il2-wings1.jpg

While the putty was drying i installed the cockpit. It is a snug fit, and there is a lot of brass parts still missing.

Now i have to figure what will i do with gunner's part of the cockpit. There is no details whatsoever and a lot of sink marks to be filled.

Il2-cocpit1.jpg

...After studying my refference books I've came to conclusion that the wooden wing version is much more appropriate for this kit than the metal one.
That is what I discovered regarding Eduard's 1/72 Il-2 as well. There was some discussion on the VVS discussion board regarding this. I know in 1/72 the decal markings Eduard provided are for actual Il-2s, but from what I understand, are most likely earlier versions then what the kits builds into.

Some progress here...

I've sanded the wings smooth, but i have yet too see whether it's good or not. I also did some extra work on wheel wells, I closed the gaps using styrene and styrene rods.

Il2-podvozje.jpg

Il2-krila.jpg

Uh, i almost forgot... i painted the cockpit tub... I mixed my own shade od Green-gray, the RLM02 stated in the instructions is wrong. Hope you like it...

Il2-cockpit5.jpg

Il2-cockpit6.jpg

Il2-cockpit7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The nightmare begun! Being carefully and trimmed all the resin parts to fit nicely, i had a bad feeling that things will turn for the worst. Huge gaps everywhere. A lot of putty will be needed to fix this out. I am wondering how will i fix that without erasing all the details on the wing and fuselage section. Keep your fingers crossed.

il-2-joints1.jpg

il-2-joints2.jpg

il-2-joints3.jpg

That's some classy work, and thanks for supplying a much-needed Stormovik for the GB. Thanks also for confirming the wisdom of my decision to leave my Il-2 in the stash!

Nick

Edited by bilkeau