MC-130E & H, Combat Talons

Dez... are you going to rescribe te kit??? Because I made the testors AC130 long time ago and will be my next recicle but to do it right.

Outstanding job!

Saludos desde la Patagonia!

I've actually never done it before, but I plan on experimenting to get it right. I have the necessary tools, but doing a job that big is a bit daunting, especially for the first try. :wasntme:

Thanks!

JAUJAUAJAU!!!!!!! YES! thats right! I thogt the same.... thats was what is keeping my hands off the old Herk or "Chancha" as its known here in Argentina.

My model is an AC-130A triblade prop... so it needs a good upgrade. The only thing I allready made was the rubber mold to copy extra blades.

Keep on working you are doing good! Keep the post updated.

Bye!

BTW: If I can help let me know

Edited by Pinguinator
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a new airbrush this weekend to replace my ancient failing badger and a shiny new compressor to boot! Consequently, I have a renewed enthusiasm for my project, and went through the trouble to dry fit it all together. Here are the results. It'll look even better once I get all the antennae, cast resin AR pods, and whatnot on.

PICT0145.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

Here's where I started to plan out attaching the DIRCM, but wrote it off as too much work.

PICT0141.jpg

A better look at the MOD90 beaver tail.

PICT0140.jpg

Can't wait to attach that nose and get the fulton recovery system in place!

PICT0139.jpg

Edited by Dez
  • 1 month later...
I know this is a bit late, but has anybody seen any Cutting Edge MC-130 noses for sale on auction or on sites specializing in discontinued items? I have been searching the net to no avail...

Ken

Good luck, I got the last one they had, and completely by accident. I couldn't find it anywhere either, and decided to go with the HC-130 nose and maybe build it up with magic-sculp or milliput. They sent me an MC-130 nose in the HC-130 bag! Woo hoo!

Fantastic luck indeed. Looks like I will probably have to build up the other nose as you suggest.

How goes your project?

Ken

It proceeds very very slowly. :cheers: I'm lucky if I get an hour a week to work on it. My progress since that last pics I posted are: added all of the covers on the chaff and flare dispensers, added the "ice shields" to the fuselage where the props throw off ice and it impacts the plane, am still crafting my first refueling pod out of a resin cast I made of one of the kit fuel tanks (I want to work it on a lathe, but the profile of the AR pod isn't symmetrical along the longitudinal axis, still working on a solution), and I've been slowly fabricating all of the avionics boxes and whatnot for the interior.

Slow going, and nothing picture worthy yet. When I get a pod done I'll post it.

I know this is a bit late, but has anybody seen any Cutting Edge MC-130 noses for sale on auction or on sites specializing in discontinued items? I have been searching the net to no avail...

Ken

Now that they are no longer produced by Cutting Edge, and probably won't be re-released, would it be illegal to make copies of them for friends?

Larry

Now that they are no longer produced by Cutting Edge, and probably won't be re-released, would it be illegal to make copies of them for friends?

Larry

Only if you sold copies. Otherwise, no. Besides, there's no copyright mark on most resin stuff anyway.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'll be following this thread closely. Got an MC-130E planned in SEA markings. With the arrival of a BUNCH of Vietnam-vintage patches, including squadron, mission and wing patches from the MC-130 unit based at Korat (Thanks Ikar!!!) I'm going to do this one up right. Anyone working on those replacement noses?

Jon

I really want to get this one done, believe me. You all saw the date of the first post, so this has been cooking a while. I figure maybe another week on my CV-22B before all the work but decals are done (I'm waiting on those to arrive from MRC), and then I can get cranking on this one again.

I've already started fiddling with it again in that I just finished work on the AR pod. It's not completely to my satisfaction in that gven what I had to work with I couldn't get the shape just right. There's a more pronounced taper to the pod than I was able to get from my frankenstein sacrificial fuel tank. At this point though, I say it's good enough.

Pardon the low resolution, it's from my cellphone cam.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Dez
You could always do a black MC-130 from S.E.A.

Also, forward of the avionics rack is a window that looks into the main gear well. In case you're interested.

Sounds like Cobrahistorian has that one covered. I'm too far into my MOD 90 work to go back now. I figure mine will be a bird from circa 1993.

Where would that window be located exactly, and could it be readily seen from the ramp?

A few more pics from a real camera, and this time I tacked it to the wing with a drop of superglue to see how it looked. Not too bad despite my concerns with the shape.

PICT0079.jpg

PICT0080.jpg

PICT0081.jpg

PICT0082.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Dez-

Did you ever work out the decal situation? I know Wolfpack does a 1/48 MC-130 Iranian Hostage rescue bird, but that might not be the era you are looking for.

Best of luck, and keep up the excellent work on this project! :wave:

Ben

The MC-130 is coming along just fine. The Sargent Fletcher refueling pod looks good...put the hose out and hang a MH-53J with full up guns on it either Euro 1 or the desert brown paint. Don't forget to add the AOA probe on the vertical tail...that's another "signature item" for a Talon 1. The MOD 90 airplanes also had either black or gray rims on the wheels as well. Long live the "Handsome, Sleek, High Performance MC-130E"...Ron