The COOLEST PICTURE EVER.

I'm gonna have to go with this one from the other thread. Not only did they immortalize it, they put it out for everyone to see the angry Tweet!

S2010001-1.jpg

Matt

Folks this is NOT, I repeat, NOT a Tweet on display, this is the very mechanism that keeps the Earth spinning ... That is all ...

Gregg

Alright people, lets hear it for the aesthetically challenged on this forum! :soapbox:

Here's the caption with the pic:

A right side view of an F-15 Eagle, F-4C Phantom II, F-104 Starfighter, and F-5 Tiger II aircraft, top to bottom, on a Tactical Training Luke training mission. The aircraft are, respectively, from the 550th, 310th, 69th, and 425th Tactical Fighter Training Squadron, all under the 12th Air Force.

Location: LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, ARIZONA (AZ) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA)

Camera Operator: KEN HACKMAN Date Shot: 1 Aug 1979

You can download it (and the three other shots in the sequence, one is a really good closeup on the Zipper) at www.dodmedia.osd.mil. Just do a search for F-104.

Jon

Found the larger pic there. The bigger pic is even better. Thanks for pointing where it was at.

hatchet, model madness,

I have to agree. Repeatedly having serious threads in this section, and elsewhere, damaged by needless repeated references to the "Tweet", IS just going too far.

I thought that this section, "Real Aviation" was supposed to be a serious section, and that light relief / humour was for the the "Test Post Clubhouse".

I'm also unhappy that several senior, and otherwise respected members of the forum seem to delight in ruining threads with references to the "Tweet".

After being here for some years, I now wonder if I should avoid some sections.

Yes, I do have a sense of humour. But thread vandalism, is not humerous.

If the moderators are unhappy with a thread, then maybe they can lock it / delete problem messages, rather then try to defuse it with referemces to the "Tweet".

I doubt VERY much if we're the only members in here who are REALLY fed up with it.

Regards,

Gerard

Great pic! And great source! Could spend hours there.... Thanks, Jon!

As for the Tweet-thing: it's getting a bit long in the tooth. It was funny at the beginning (especially as a tease at the Tomcat farewell threads), but over the months it's been overstretched.

Yep, I happen to like the picture posted that started this thread off. Nice group of aircraft represented indeed. But for some reason, I have always tended to like this photo:

416Voodoo.jpg

The engines fully ablaze makes me think of all those days watching these aircraft launch, with the sound hitting me in the stomach and louder then anything that I have heard since, the aircraft position lights glowing, the gear headed into the wells, and the sense of speed created by the ground rushing by...just looks cool to me.

Sorry, I hope this does not constitute a thread hijacking.

Regards,

Don

:salute:

Don, nice photo, Love the Voodoo !

Some folks might also find Moai signatures and Super Hornet bashing signatures long in the tooth ... To each, their own though ... :salute::doh:

Gregg

Don, nice photo, Love the Voodoo !

Some folks might also find Moai signatures and Super Hornet bashing signatures long in the tooth ... To each, their own though ... :whistle::boohoo:

Gregg

And others might be annoyed by signatures with Super Hornets in em but that has nothing to do with going off topic with the same old jokes in every topic.

Koen

(Btw I got over 30 PM's from people saying they loved my signature and only one from a person who was offended by it)

untitled1oz2.jpg

Wow look at that Clunk sitting there...and the Hun...and that Dog Sabre...and is that the nose of an RCAF or RAF Sabre I see...:whistle: !

All that would need to be added to that photo is an F-101 Voodoo and I'd be as happy as a fat kid locked in a candy store overnight :boohoo: !

Cheers!

Don

:cheers:

And others might be annoyed by signatures with Super Hornets in em but that has nothing to do with going off topic with the same old jokes in every topic.

Koen

(Btw I got over 30 PM's from people saying they loved my signature and only one from a person who was offended by it)

And posting other pictures in the thread other than the airframes shown can be construed as going off topic as well ... Some say only commenting about the original post can be seen as the only way of staying "on topic" ... I agree, Tweet, Moai, Python(gasp :whistle: ), etc jokes can and do get old but if one doesnt like it, just go past it and ignore it, If people just ignore the joke, it will go away, mentioning it and saying how stupid, juvenile, etc a joke is, gives people all the more fuel to keep using it ...

Gregg

mentioning it and saying how stupid, juvenile, etc a joke is, gives people all the more fuel to keep using it ...

Correct....if they're 6 years old.

Python jokes are different because they were funny in the first place and are usually kept within the bounds of the test post clubhouse section, as with the majority of the other internet jokes (Maoi, Chuck Norris etc etc)

I've been patient and not said a word but I'm starting to loose respect for members that use the Tweet jokes and subsequently release a barrage of off topic, thread ruining posts which are neither funny, interesting or enjoyable to read.

416Voodoo.jpg

Sorry, I hope this does not constitute a thread hijacking.

Don

Very nice photo, did you shoot that? Your description of that image is spot on. Great sense of motion and power. That pic has made me want to get some CAF decals for my Monogram kit! And, I haven't talked to him this afternoon, but I don't think Jon would consider your photo a thread hijack.

But they don't get in the way of otherwise sensible discussions

Neither does the Tweet. Last I saw, we're still looking at and posting well composed aircraft photos in this thread.

untitled1oz2.jpg

Ah, the good old days when there was variety on the ramp.

Don - did the RAF fly the F-86? I may have to reconsider getting a Hasegawa Sabre if so.

This one is pretty cool. Maybe not the coolest but cool nonetheless.

http://www.navy.mil/management/photodb/pho...N-7559C-001.jpg

Matt

Neat shot! Although I wish the photographer got more of the water's surface in the frame; the Hornet's affect on the surface is more interesting than the plane or the vapor forming around it.

Edited by Trigger

F-104G_starfighter.jpg

This one's not a GREAT photograph, but it certainly has an interesting collection. I'd call it a great history of mass produced export fighter programs. I have to admit, I haven't seen three generations of primarily export, light-weight fighters in one shot before.

As for the Tweet, well, I'd get wound up about it, but it would just be a further indication of my inability to comprehend satire and irony. Then again, I guess I made a further mistake!!! Goodness sakes alive, I've posted a picture of a formation of F-somethings! Blimey, I guess I must be joining the unthinking majority in the "in crowd."

Oh well, if you can't beat 'em, join the cheeky b@st@rds I say!!! Right 'ho!

TWEET!

t37fff.JPG

Some folks might also find Moai signatures and Super Hornet bashing signatures long in the tooth ... To each, their own though ... :banana: :wacko:

Oh, yeah, ah, got me there. Didn't change it because I didn't know what else to post there. No one ever PM'd me because of it, though.

How about this pic? (credit to flugzeugforum.de)

untitled1oz2.jpg

A very cool pic! Nice idea for a diorama???

Very nice photo, did you shoot that?...

Don - did the RAF fly the F-86? I may have to reconsider getting a Hasegawa Sabre if so...

Trigger,

Alas, I did not shoot that Voodoo photograph. It is a pretty well used photo that has made the internet circuit for longer then I can remember. I think most folks have lost track of who actually took the picture. However, I did take a quick glance in my Voodoo references and found out that the photographer was from the Canadian Forces, a Capt W. "Turbo" Tarling. Apparently he was flying his own Voodoo…in the front seat not riding in the back… :D. Not sure if that is indeed the case but if so, wow what a pilot and what a photographer!

Yes the RAF had Canadair built F-86 Sabres.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/canadair-sabre-4.htm

RAF Sabres from 112 Squadron (I believe?) had some cool sharks mouths for nose art :banana: !

HTH

Regards,

Don

:wacko: