Stripes and checkers

The fact that my troublesome Hasegawa P-47D turned out OK after all made me want to work on one of my Tamiya P-47Ds. So I did, and last week it was ready for paint.

After some pre-shading I sprayed the white areas with flat white, later followed by gloss white. The reason for the gloss white is that I do not want to apply a heavy gloss coat on top of white because of yellowing. When the gloss white was dry I masked off the white areas and sprayed the black stripes.

As soon as the black felt dry I sprayed the upper surfaces with OD, ony to discover that the OD on the wings was cracking where the was gloss white underneath. I guess this was because the gloss white hadn't fully cured, and that the flat OD dried faster than the gloss white. Oh well, only solution was to sand the affected areas.

Yesterday I sprayed the neutral grey. Same happened on the wings - the grey colour started cracking. I used the same procedure on the lower wings. Last night I re-sprayed the OD, and I just finished spraying the neutral grey.

Upon removing the masking tape I found a few places that need touching. No worries as I still have to paint the main gear doors etc. (I have temporarily misplaced them :nanner: ).

Here is the model as it looks right now. The black checkers were applied to the cowling some time ago.

Model_20070409_003_800.jpg

Model_20070409_009_800.jpg

Model_20070409_005_800.jpg

I will leave it at least a week to dry before shooting the gloss coat. All colours used are MM enamels btw.

Regards,

:thumbsup: From where I'm sitting, it still looks like you did an absolutely stellar job on those invasion stripes. Will look forward to seeing the finished model. :pray: Ivan

Sounds like you are having a bit of time of it with masking and painting etc.

But the finished paintwork speaks for itself...nice job!

Look forward to seeing how you go with the decals and weathering.

mike

Thanks for the comments.

I simply used Tamiya 6 mm tape for masking the white stripes. Each stripe is 8.5 mm wide. The wings were easy to mask but the shape of the fuselage made it a bit difficult to mask.

Hopefully I can apply some or all of the decals next weekend. :cheers:

Regards,

Edited by JEN722

I had a minor set-back yesterday when I started applying the decals. I had decided to use the Tamiya national markings and stencils (Eagle Strike provide very little stenciling). When I applied the first decal - port side star and bar - I could see the invasion stripes through the decal. I removed the decal immediately. To be honest I wasn't really surprised that this happened, but I am still angry that it did. :angry:

Anyway, I removed some of the black paint on the fuselage. Then I cut some masks based on the dimensions of the Tamiya decals (one for each fuselage side, and one for the port upper wing). I applied them to the model and sprayed gloss white over them.

Hopefully I will be able to apply the decals Sunday. If not, I will have to wait to next weekend. :(

Regards,