Fine Molds to do 1/72 Y-Wing

In the latest issue of Scale Aviation magazine, there is an official "scoop" announcement that Fine Molds will release a 1/72 Y-Wing this year. The official public announcement with expected release date, price etc. will be made at Shizuoka in late May.

Let the rejoicing begin!

Way cool, and it is about *&^%ing TIME! They are probably finally doing one since RoG's announced kit due out in September will be 1/73 scale and they know there are a LOT of Y-Wing maniacs (myself included) who want FM to go ahead and release some.

I expect to order probably four or five of these then (three for a space diorama, one for maybe a ground diorama and one to do OOB).

I'm in with both feet. As with the X-Wing, I'm good for three kits.

Randy

OK, pardon me for making a blatant plug here. Randy (and everyone else), if you have a local hobby shop you buy from, tell them you want this kit, and that your friends want this kit, and their friends' friends...

Then have your local shop owner send a mail to lance(at)hlj.com. We do wholesale discounts and are always willing to talk to shops to get them what they need. You may want to hint they are going to need TIEs and X-wings and maybe even Falcons to go with the Y-wings. I don't know how many Y-wings are going to be in a carton, but my gut feeling is 18 or 24. From the size and parts count, we're talking what, a Hasegawa Ju88 or He111 in size? So probably 24 per carton. If your local hobby shop can handle that quantity, and everyone outside of Podunk, Iowa should be able to for a Y-wing, have them write me.

Man that is one PRETTY looking test shot. Looks like the Ion guns on the topside aren't quite ready and some of the vane details aren't yet finalized either as these appear to be a couple areas where detail is missing from the test shot. But, that is why it is a test shot. This one is going to be a GREAT model.

I have a feeling though that given the parts count in this model and the size of the pieces that this kit is probably going to be more expensive then the X-Wing. The X-Wing is a relatively simple design on the surface in comparison to the Y-Wing. I don't think she will be as expensive as say a Millenium Falcon, but maybe somewhere between the Slave Ones and the X-Wing kits probably. And this is speculation on my part as I have no idea what price FM will charge for these.

I agree, I'm quite impressed. Really almost makes me want to put up my SMT 1/48 resin one for sale, if I knew I wouldn't take a total loss on it...now, THAT'S one fantastic looking one, although I haven't got the space for it once built....

I'm guessing the sales of these items is what keeps FM bringing out new models. I'd think for quality kits like this of a cult movie, demand would be pretty high. Be nice if they eventually did the all pivotal ships from the original trilogy - given the constant scale of 1/72, realistically, I'd think we could see snowspeeders, A-wings, B-wings, Darth Vaders advanced TIE, and maybe Luke's speeder.

Given the massive size (a little over 22 metres), tooling costs and eventual retail price if realised, a 1/72 ISD won't happen.

OK, pardon me for making a blatant plug here. Randy (and everyone else), if you have a local hobby shop you buy from, tell them you want this kit, and that your friends want this kit, and their friends' friends...

No worries Lance. I can take your shameless plug and cart it off to the hobby shop out here in the Lower Mainland that I frequent. But I must admit this, in all of the years that Fine Molds has been doing Star Wars kits, they've never carried the line. Come to think of it, they don't carry any of the FM aircraft either.

Randy

I agree, I'm quite impressed. Really almost makes me want to put up my SMT 1/48 resin one for sale, if I knew I wouldn't take a total loss on it...now, THAT'S one fantastic looking one, although I haven't got the space for it once built....

1/48 SMT Y-Wings tend to go for sick prices on eBay, mainly because they are 1/48 and good quality. So unless you paid an arm and a leg for the kit already, I doubt it would sell for a loss. In my case, I have an SMT and another Y-Wing in 1/48 done by another firm. I will probably keep the SMT kit and sell my other one.

Didn't know if anyone had posted it yet but the "pre-order" for the Y-Wing is up at hlj.com....5% off if you pre-order....price with the 5% off is 27.08 +S/H....

Enjoy and let the ordering begin....

Chris

Thanks for that, Chris...

I just pre-ordered two. I missed the Tamiya 1/48 F-16 Early Bird

but not this time. I've been wanting a Y-Wing for quite a while.

I still have the X-Wing and the Jedi Starfighter to do someday.

Jim :bandhead2:

Edited by JimC

If you guys are interested in a Y-wing, might I recommend buying it from Starshipmodeler.com? They have excellent service, quick delivery and the cost should be about the same as importing it from HLJ. They have a pre-order for the Y-wing set up now.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/cfstore/ind...;Product_ID=944

FNMSW-08a.jpg

FNMSW-08b.jpgFNMSW-08c.jpgFNMSW-08d.jpgFNMSW-08e.jpg

FNMSW-08f.jpgFNMSW-08g.jpgFNMSW-08h.jpgFNMSW-08i.jpg

Edited by My_name_1s_MUD

looks AWESOME! love the fact i that you can actually identify the tank kits used in the originals.

Me? i am waiting for the republic gunship in 1/72, go on, Finemolds, you know it will be good for the sales figures!!!!

Me? i am waiting for the republic gunship in 1/72, go on, Finemolds, you know it will be good for the sales figures!!!!

Do you know something we don't?!? I'd absolutely love a republic gunship (LAAT/i). I want to paint one with the tiger mouth just like in the Clone Wars animated series.

Also, deepstriker... it is starshipmodeler.com... not spaceshipmodeler. There is also another website called starshipbuilder.com.... another good website. The definitive source for data on this stuff is starshipmodeler.com and the Replica Prop Forum. The RPF has some guys on it that can name pretty much every piece on most Star Wars kits. They have threads that are like 60 pages that are dedicated to identifying kit parts that were on the Y-wings (no two Y0wings were the same). Even the guys that designed the Master Replicas Y-wing and Millennium Falcon are regular posters on that site. Pretty cool stuff if you are in to accuracy.