"Warthog Day" Ft. Smith, Arkansas

Today was the official transition ceremony for the 188th FW. They had two F-16s left in Arkansas markings, while the Oklahoma ANG sent a D model down as a camera ship. The F-16s launched and made one last flight over the capital before joining up with the new A-10s for the ceremony over Ft. Smith Municipal Airport. Two of the A-10s are sporting all-new Arkansas markings (very appropriate I think!) Another A-10 was still in Barnes markings, while yet a 4th A-10 was fully unmarked. The Davis-Monthan demo team and gave Ft. Smith a taste of what their new toys could do for them. Here's a few (unedited) photos from the trip. The lighting was very poor and constantly changing, making it difficult to lock in on some good settings.

IMG_4485.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

IMG_4527.jpg

IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_4546.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

Scott, I got full walkarounds of one of the A-10s for you, I'll be sending you a CD shortly!

Edited by Skull Leader

Awesome Hog! I wish Iwould have niceshots with all the details, I'd make a print of this! it's niceto see different variations onthe nose. I love the regular warthog, and shark design too, but this is something new - at least to me!

Greetings, neu

Thanks, Andy... I had a lot of fun standing with you, Ralph, and ArkHerkyLoad. These photos aren't processed, but I thought it would be nice to give everyone a peek of what we saw. I'll post more after I've had a chance to run them through photoshop. I'll definately look to hook up with ya the next time I'm down that way shooting photos. I look forward to seeing how your stuff turned out!

Edited by Skull Leader
very nice Jeremy....613 used to be a Connecticut 103rd FW jet

Thanks Ken... always neat to see a current jet in previous markings. If it's anything like me, I feel a little sad when I see a picture of a 184th FW jet that used to be one of ours (188th FW). It's cool to know that the airframe is soldiering on, but I miss seeing the razorback on the tail :cheers:

Here's to hoping Arkansas can bring these ex- CT birds some justice!

Awesome Hog! I wish Iwould have niceshots with all the details, I'd make a print of this! it's niceto see different variations onthe nose. I love the regular warthog, and shark design too, but this is something new - at least to me!

Greetings, neu

Neu, I can send you a larger side-profile shot along with a few walkaround photos... that should give you everything you need for a print, will that be ok?

I'm glad I got to make it to one of the last air shows showcasing the 188th F-16's...

Can't wait for their next show...

gonna have to wait until 2008 for that. They're going to start alternating every year with Little Rock. LR will do this year and then Ft. Smith will do the next.

Sorry, those comments aren't directed at you (nice pics, by the way). Do I hold bitterness? Yes, I do (beyond just the political moves of moving the Hogs down there... there are other factors). But come one, the face looks terible. The Hog face should be on the nacelle and the nose left plain. Such a shame to see a great A-10 in such crappy markings.

- Tom

Sorry, those comments aren't directed at you (nice pics, by the way). Do I hold bitterness? Yes, I do (beyond just the political moves of moving the Hogs down there... there are other factors). But come one, the face looks terible. The Hog face should be on the nacelle and the nose left plain. Such a shame to see a great A-10 in such crappy markings.

- Tom

You're right Tom

They should have followed the original recommendation and taken the flying mission away from the unit altogether :salute:

You're bent out of shape over markings and the fact that they have jets and the last time that I talked to these fine bunch of folks down at Fort Smith they were just happy as punch to be getting something with wings!

Couldn't of happened to a nicer bunch of people as far as I'm concerned

Edited by kstater94