"Warthog Day" Ft. Smith, Arkansas

You're right Tom

They should have followed the original recommendation and taken the flying mission away from the unit altogether :salute:

I won't get into a political debate or flame war, but will say this: the United States is losing four of its best, most experienced A-10 units and establishing a new squadron with little experience in CAS that will likely never be as capable as Barnes, Bradley, Battle Creek, or Willow Grove. . Flying CAS in an A-10 is a lot different (and more effective) than in an F-16.

This last round of BRAC is probably the worst round for the ANG in a long time. As for politics and their office holders, I think almost all of em suck. Just my ,02.

Jeff

I won't get into a political debate or flame war, but will say this: the United States is losing four of its best, most experienced A-10 units and establishing a new squadron with little experience in CAS that will likely never be as capable as Barnes, Bradley, Battle Creek, or Willow Grove. . Flying CAS in an A-10 is a lot different (and more effective) than in an F-16.

Don't forget that these guys are LEARNING from "the Best"... I'm willing to bet that these guys are coming out of Hawg training just as ready for the job at hand as the guys from the above-mentioned bases. They're training under the same people, after all. I don't see any reason why the 188FW guys wouldn't be up to the challenge. I really hope your comments about the markings (which I can understand someone not liking them for Aesthetic reasons) don't tie in to the squadrons capability. The 188th has had a long standing tradition of excellence in all areas. I'm confident they'll be able to continue to set the standard as they have in previous years.

Edited by Skull Leader

No arguments, there. The rationale of BRAC is mind-boggling idiotic to me. Nothing but good, old-fashioned politics involved. Some of the best fighter wings, with the best combat records, with the longest and distinguished careers, with the ability to meet 100% manning for AEF rotations, are losing their airplanes and missions in favor of other units with less capabilities. No disrespect towards the Ft. Smith folks, whatsoever. I know a ton of ex-Viper drivers from Ft. Smith, but Viper drivers and Hawg drivers are two completely separate animals. If it weren't for politics, the Ft. Smith folks would be without airframes right now.

Jake

What I'd like to know is how you photog guys got the news about the ceremony...I knew it was going to happen,just didn't know when....

I'd be interested in meeting some of you fine folks one of these days...

As far as BRAC? Yeah they pretty much remind me of the scum on the toilet rim of a well used public restroom.........

What I'd like to know is how you photog guys got the news about the ceremony...I knew it was going to happen,just didn't know when....

I don't know about others, but I got an e-mail from folks in the 188FW.

Jake

And I likewise don't want to do that either Tom. I will certainly agree with you that BRAC = CRAP

My Dad's former Guard unit is having it's flying commitment taken away so I know the pain that they inflict all to well.

I'm sorry for the sarcasm earlier. It's just that Jeremy has been working very hard at perfecting his photography and I quite honestly didn't think that it was fair to bring things into the thread that detracted from what he was trying to share with the rest of group.

Anyway, Hope we can put it all behind us

Cheers

John

I agree, John. Just let me say that it really is difficult to see one of our original jets (that served with us for 28 years) wearing new markings because of political B.S. It kind of hit a nerve because I spent two days last week trying to get the external fuel tanks to work on 613 so we could transfer her -- I think the immediacy of working on her at Bradley a few days ago and now seeing her in new markings hurt a little. I hope my comments weren't spiteful or too immature. I really do hope they fully embrace the A-10 culture and become a great Hog unit.

And my most sincere apologies to Jeremy for derailing this thread (the pictures are very nice... I'm looking forward to more). Are they planning on a Hog face on all the jets?

Again, I'm sorry.

- Tom

No worries, Tom... people have a lot of pride in some units!

I do not know if all of the jets will have hog faces. The PAO told me that they were applied for the ceremony and it isn't 100% certain that those two will even keep it... so it may go away <_<

I dunno.....as much of a PITA as trying to decal that nose is going to be, I kinda like it. Having said that, if I were them I'd stick with it on the tail. I like the Arkansas logo on the nacele right where it is.

I like A-10s with mean looking faces. It adds to their reputation of being lethal.

I agree, John. Just let me say that it really is difficult to see one of our original jets (that served with us for 28 years) wearing new markings because of political B.S. It kind of hit a nerve because I spent two days last week trying to get the external fuel tanks to work on 613 so we could transfer her -- I think the immediacy of working on her at Bradley a few days ago and now seeing her in new markings hurt a little. I hope my comments weren't spiteful or too immature. I really do hope they fully embrace the A-10 culture and become a great Hog unit.

And my most sincere apologies to Jeremy for derailing this thread (the pictures are very nice... I'm looking forward to more). Are they planning on a Hog face on all the jets?

Again, I'm sorry.

- Tom

This reply puts your first into perspective. No need to apologize, none of us like to be stripped of an identity.

My unit was recently disbanded and stood up as another. We didn't like to see the Lynx removed from our Hornet's tails.

WARNING - THIS IS A NON-POLITICAL REPLY

Very cool pics! I'm TDY down at LFARB right now and wish I would have had the SA (situational awareness) to know that ceremony was going to happen today as I would have been there. Know how the weather has been around here lately I know you did a great job getting those photos and I enjoyed seeing them!

BTW, I think those Razorback markings are going to be very cool to decal!

Mark

Very cool pics! I'm TDY down at LFARB right now and wish I would have had the SA (situational awareness) to know that ceremony was going to happen today as I would have been there.

Given that a pair of AANG C-130s were beating up the field before and after the ceremony, I'd say you had a TOTAL lack of SA ;) It would've been cool to see you there! :)

LMAO!!! If I was guard still I'd understand! Nah, I'm just down here TDY at the FE school. I have my nose to buried in the books to get a big picture lately. I've got all summer down here so if y'all hear anything drop me an e-mail.

Mark

I agree with Scott that getting that hog around the nose is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

I wonder if the unit has looked artists line drawings with the hog on the tail (similar to the F-16).

Cheers

John

I agree with Scott that getting that hog around the nose is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

I wonder if the unit has looked artists line drawings with the hog on the tail (similar to the F-16).

Cheers

John

I thought they would have put the hog image (a full size one running) on the engines, but can see why they did the nose.

We had several of the Ft Smith guys up here in Baltimore getting some hands on training. They were telling me that there folks were looking at various places on the airframe to put the Razorback art work on. But the tail was eliminated because your not supposed to put any extra paint on the rudders for W&B issues so the nose seemed to be the best place to go.

Edited by boom175

Glad to see them in thier new Hawgs :rolleyes: ,all we get after October is computers,sattilite dishes,desks and chairs and from I hear,a totally awesome coffee maker :rolleyes:

In October we become a non-flying unit,our new missions will be Distributed Ground Station(giving units info they need for missions) and the Air Support Operations(will work hand in hand with the Army,sort of a combat air controller mission).

Nice pics,hope to see more!

Neu, I can send you a larger side-profile shot along with a few walkaround photos... that should give you everything you need for a print, will that be ok?

Yes, that would be just awesome! I'd like to make the hog in profile! Can you send me what you have to dprod.support@gmail.com? Of course once it's done, you'll get a free copy of the print! Please include as many info you can, like exact unit designations, date, etc!

Thanks a lot!

Greetings, neu :rolleyes: