Stuka Undercarriage

I've seen pictures of Ju 87s with the spats removed. I know why: what I don't know is whether anyone does a suitable conversion package. Can anyone enlighten me?

Incidentally, I do have the modelling skills to make something suitable from my spares box, I'm just lazy these days! :whistle:

TIA,

Edited by MikeC

I've got some white metal struts in 1/72..but I think they're from the long-defunct DB conversions.

The Italeri 1/71 Ju-87G kit comes with un-spatted landing gear, but I'm not really impressed with the kit. Academy's "G" seems to be the nicest in 1/72 scale, although some say the nose is too short.

SN

Edited by Steve N

If you can find them, the Fujimi Ju 87 series is the best in 1/72, the B/R appears to have been re-released rather recently, but the 'G' and 'D' versions appear to be rather more scarce. I really don't remember since it has been years since I peeked in one of the 'D' or 'G' kits in my stash but what little I do recall is that all are of the spatted type.

There is a Heller "Hi-Tech" rebox of the Airfix 1/48 Ju87B that included white metal struts to allow an unspatted aircraft to be built. This was apparently quite common on the Eastern Front where mud and snow would clog up the spats.

The Heller kit has been OOP for quite some time, but they still show up on ebay from time-to-time and the selling price is usually quite reasonable. I picked up two kits this way for under $20 each.

I've got the Fujimi 'B/R' and 'G' Sukas..both come with spatted landing gear. Although I've heard the Fujimi 'G' is more dimensionally accurate (that is, the nose is the correct length,) the Academy kit is more crisply molded, has better canopy, and a much more detailed cockpit. The underwing anti-tank guns are also better detailed. The Fujimi 'B/R' is still the best available in 1/72.

SN

Gents,

Thanks to all for the info, that's useful. I have a selection of Stukas planned, one of which is an "R", so I'll keep an eye out for that Heller boxing of the Airfix 1:48th kit.

Lothar, I've just looked on the Cutting Edge site, can't find the set you mention, but thanks anyway.

Cheers,

M

Hi Mike,

PM sent.

Cheers,

Lothar

Gents,

Thanks to all for the info, that's useful. I have a selection of Stukas planned, one of which is an "R", so I'll keep an eye out for that Heller boxing of the Airfix 1:48th kit.

Lothar, I've just looked on the Cutting Edge site, can't find the set you mention, but thanks anyway.

Cheers,

M