F/A-18 Blue Angel crashes on foxnews

Hello all. Here's an update, forgive me if you've heard it before as I am just replying at the end of the thread instead of reading all of it.

Team News - Merlin, last years lead solo, will be rejoining the team as #6 and probably do a full 2 year tour with them to keep the current assignments on track. The team will most likely go to El Centro for about a two week intense work-up and then proceed with the show schedule.

The memorial service is scheduled for tomorrow - I hope everyone will sport some Blue and Yellow - I know I will be.

The Show must go on.

-MS

If they do go for a two week workup, then the Offutt show is certainly out of the picture (not surprising). Right now the website shows it as being "To Be Determined" depending on their practice results. But I find that to be optimistic. Merlin would have to get to Pensacola, get requalified medically (a centrifuge ride at NAS Lemoore unless he stayed qualified), see if he is up to it physically and only then would they begin working him up with the practices. I imagine he is probably in Pensacola now although things take time.

That number 6 on the side of Fat Albert is a fitting tribute. I wonder if they might leave it on the for the rest of the season.

Edited by Jay Chladek
More from the Pensacola News Journal-Kojak's return to the base. Very moving pictures.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/p...Params=Itemnr=1

Very moving indeed

If they do go for a two week workup, then the Offutt show is certainly out of the picture (not surprising). Right now the website shows it as being "To Be Determined" depending on their practice results. But I find that to be optimistic. Merlin would have to get to Pensacola, get requalified medically (a centrifuge ride at NAS Lemoore unless he stayed qualified), see if he is up to it physically and only then would they begin working him up with the practices. I imagine he is probably in Pensacola now although things take time.

That number 6 on the side of Fat Albert is a fitting tribute. I wonder if they might leave it on the for the rest of the season.

I'm sure Merlin is at P-Cola by now. As for what he needs to do to get qualed for the Blues again, I am not sure. He was at 32 and his recall to The Team has disrupted things there a bit as he is a department head and they are scheduled to leave for Fallon on Friday. I know BH was trying hard to find a replacement for him ASAP.

Fair Winds and Following Seas Kevin. And God's Speed.

Have you ever seen the in-cockpit videos shot during a routine? Those guys (especially the Solos) are pulling hard, maybe 6-7Gs at times. You don't have to be doing 600kts to pull high Gs. I once came back from a flight in an Extra 300L and the G meter read 10.5G and we never got above 200kts. Granted it is a much smaller airplane, but I'm sure our fast jet drivers here can tell you that low airpseeds does not mean you cannot pull high Gs.

I don't believe he blacked out. I'm guessing some sort of engine or flight control failure. My first question when I heard about the accident was why didn't he pull the handle? Do the pilots always think they can save it?

God Speed Cdr. Davis :blink:

Chappie

Right.

During that part of the routine, they weren't doing 600 CAS. Anything over corner velocity pits your over the operating design limit of the aircraft, however, this aircraft has a G-limiter. Based on the the amount of time he took to turn, he chopped the throttle, bleed all the speed to sell. Around corner velocity, you have a loot of bleed rate of speed this it takes your 7G to a span of 2.X G in a short time with the F18. Remember in this turn he is NOT sustaining a high G. The load factor dwindles down as he loses speed. He has a nose low attitude.

IMHO, something mechanical happened to the plane. A witnesses noted a trail of smoke prior to crashing - RIP Lt Cdr. Davis - This was before he hit the trees.

Wearing the Blue and Gold in Honor of LCDR Davis today ...

As are my Girlfriend and I.

For Whom The Bell Tolls

No man is an island,

Entire of itself.

Each is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manner of thine own

Or of thine friend's were.

Each man's death diminishes me,