F-14 Tail Stiffener Plates

• 12 years later...

Dear F14 experts

I am working a couple of Tomcats in parallel, a fujimi and a hasegawa in 72nd scale and investigating I have encountered a couple of problems.

The differences of Gun Vent and beaver tail are more or less clear but I have not been able to find clear information about the Tail Stiffeners plates (reinforcements of the top of tails).  When they started to use or tell what block were already standard?

The fujimi (KA) kit get 2 gun vent and beaver tail options but only Tails with reinforcements, so You can not build as Jolly Rogers 1978/80.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Gremlin
On 4/23/2007 at 8:41 PM, Don Harrison said:

Hello,

I am looking for good high res pics of the Tail Stiffener plates on the F-14. I know that I could buy them from SteelBeach but I am a bit low on funding.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

Don

PM on the way.

41 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

The newer L shaped braces came about at the beginning of the 80's. Fast Eagle 107 (the Libyan killer) had them in '81, but still with the older style wheels. By the mid-80's, you would be safe going with the L shaped brace.

thanks for your response!!!

Regards

7 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

Tail braces started by 1978. All aircraft were modified by the end of 1981. 

Brian

I didn't realize it was that early. So it was about the same time-frame as the change to overall Gull Gray. That will be easy to remember.