USAF Pilot - namepatch on left shoulder?

070424-F-6911G-011.JPG

Full-size hi-res pic HERE!

So what's the deal? Is it even halfway normal for a pilot to put his namepatch on his shoulder like this (I've never seen it done...but then, it's more than a decade since I've strolled around on an Air Force Base), or is Lt Dowling just trying to make sure he's identifiable in the picture so he can show off?

Could be a photo-opportunity thing. It looks like it was just slapped on so that the folks back home seeing the photo in a magazine or something could identify their son/father/brother/husband etc. :yahoo:

Pilots will generally "sanitize" (remove the patches) their flight suit before flying to cut down on distracting reflections in the cockpit. The name tag is typically left on though, so the crew chief, or whoever, knows who they are talking to. Since the survival vest or Combat Edge vest will cover the name tag some pilots throw it on their shoulder velcro when flying. Not every pilot does it, but it's not uncommon.

Maybe he's proud of those jump wings.....

AKA his Academy "pledge pin."

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

On a modelling note-

The dust acumulated around the rivets and details on the black area behind the seat looks like it would be best replicated (and visible on a model) with a wash or a "pastel and wipe" of light tan or sand color. I've never seen that on a model before, but I'm sure someone's done it.

Pete

Pilots will generally "sanitize" (remove the patches) their flight suit before flying to cut down on distracting reflections in the cockpit. The name tag is typically left on though, so the crew chief, or whoever, knows who they are talking to. Since the survival vest or Combat Edge vest will cover the name tag some pilots throw it on their shoulder velcro when flying. Not every pilot does it, but it's not uncommon.

AKA his Academy "pledge pin."

Regards,

Murph

Thanks. I had a feeling it had something to do with the vest covering it or possibly removing it while the pilot moves around.

As for the jump wings, it's not always an academy thing - Army Airborne school is offered to AFROTC cadets (or at least it was back in the '90s) between their junior and senior years. They'd be authorized to wear jump wings after completion (if they even qualify to go...).

I used to do that too, for the reasons Murph said. Also, I'd heard guys got in the habit of doing that when flying with Chem gear. Not something I ever had to do! ( so many ORI's- I can't believe it either)

The Viper was very prone to distracting reflections in the cockpit, (and the block 40 raster HUD also.) My first instruction to a wingman when he asked "what do you need for our sortie, Pig?" was "No white lineup cards!" Ever drive your car with a white sheet of paper on the glareshield? if so, you'll know what I mean.

The colorful patches can be a distraction, so we'd sanitize during peacetime too..

Regards,

Pig