Supermarine S-6B in the water

I noticed on the group build that there is a 1/48 Testors Supermarine S6B which I didn't know had ever been kitted. The price of an isolated life style I suppose. Well anyway I managed to find one on EBay, UK, and got an ARCer to buy it for me. He sent it to my Mom in the UK who has posted it on and it arrived here in China mid way through the build.

The Idea was with 12 parts it would be easy from the box but of course itsa never so easy. I filled the floats with lead to make it sit right and then replaced the struts with some flat brass. I put some 5 thou strips on the wings to represent the ribs as these seemed quite prominent on the real plane.

Other mods included a PE seat and seat belts to replace the one piece pilot and seat offered by Testors (Hawk).

I made a rib under the belly from nose to tail as this is quite prominent on photos but absent on the kit. Various scoops on the nose were made from scrap tube. Counter balance horns on ailerons and rudder were brass rod with a weight made from multiple dunkings in super glue.

Paint was metallic Gunze and Alclad II after I had wrecked my airbrush during cleaning. I borrowed an old Badger 250 which I managed to use for the final paint job.

S6B2.jpg

S6B1.jpg

S6b030s.jpg

S6b025s.jpg

S6b019s.jpg

S6B16s.jpg

Thanks to Mikeiw and my Mom for getting the kit and Mark davies for the interior pics and the new tip for my airbrush.

Cheers Colin W