Project #2 for this GB

When I browsed through the selection of decals at the Kidsland/X'cit hobbyshop in Osaka last month, I came across the Platz sheet for the 30th anniversary of the Nyutabaru based 301 squadron. I instantly fell in love and bought the sheet. In the week following I picked up an 1/72 Hase F-4EJ Kai to use the decals on.

Most if not everybody on this forum will be familiar with the Hase Phantom family so no need to do a review.

f4-1.jpg

After assembly and painting I started decalling today. It was a nightmare and took me more than 2 hours to get only a few decals on! The decals are very thin and fragile and it took a lot of effort to get them on. I had my doubts but after a bit of Microsol most 'problematic areas' disappeared :crying2:

f4-2.jpg

I still have to put the decals on the underside of the a/c, as well as a few more 'on top'.

I made two mistakes: first up; I should have started decalling with a small red stripe over the fuselage. I forgot (Platz instructions are in Japanese so that's no help either), and will have to live with that. Can't add it now because it will be over the anniversary markings instead of underneath :doh:

Second mistake is easier to correct: I used Alclad for the exhaust area but forgot to paint a section on both sides! Made a mistake masking it.

More to follow soon I hope.

Very slow week when it comes to modelling :beer4: , finished putting the decals on the F-4EJ this weekend. To my surpirse, after studying pics of the original, the aft fuselage red stripe (compressor warning) goes over the anniversary markings, not underneath. So all was not lost :D

The red is, sadly, too dark so Platz got it wrong. Oh well, I'll have to live with that. Next will be a clear coat, a light panel wash and then a satin coat.

f4-3.jpg

f4-4.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a very busy five weeks, with little or no time for modelling except an occasional look on the ARC forum I started adding the finishing touch to my Phantom last Sunday.

I had forgotten to spray Alclad on a small part of the aft fuselage, and while removing the mask after spraying, a small part of the large fuselage decal came off too :wacko:

I mixed some paint to get the right colour, and using a fine brush tried to restore it as good as possible.

A satin coat was applied using the airbrush, as well as a light wash to the exhaust area. Landing gear and ejection seats are also in place.

Only thing to do now: spray the engine exhausts and attach them, put decals on the canopy edges and attach canopies, attach pitotube, attach horizontals. Paint some small details (tiplights etc).

No pictures right now, will upload a picture of the finished Phantom this weekend hopefully! I am very confident I will make that deadline! :D

Edited by pollie

FINISHED!!! :banana: Made the deadline!

Pic below is the only one of a bunch I made worth looking at, the others are all out of focus.... I suck at macro photography! :rofl:

I only applied a light wash and light weathering to the exhaust area, and drybrushed the landinggear with Tamiya smoke.

f4-5.jpg

I also have an 1/48 F-15D Aggressor to finish, but will neeeeeveeeeeeer make the deadline with that one. Oh well, it was fun. Next JASDF GB in 2009? Let's make it a bi-annual event! :banana:

Thanks guys, this was my first GB and a great learning experience. :banana: