I don't often rework models, but I did this P-39

I built this Soviet P-39Q from the Eduard P-400 a few years ago for our branch's display theme at Scale Modelworld (UK Nats). I didn't know as much about P-39s then as I do now, so although the Eduard P-400 kit includes everything (except gunpods which the Soviets did not tend to use) that you need for a Q, I used the wrong prop. This is what it looked like, at the end of this lineup.

IMG_0417.jpg

Anyway, fast forward to now, and I recently dug it out to display at a show. As it had kindled an interest in P-39s I'd built another Eduard Q, bought a book, Googled "P-39", bought another Eduard kit (the "Dual Combo") and generally learned more. And when I showed them side by side, it occurred to me that the Soviet Q had a prop that was too small for a Q. What to do?

Well if you're familiar with the Eduard kit you'll know that it includes three sets of prop blades, two spinners for three and four blades respectively, and various cannon. So I had all the necessary spares except those for the three-bladed prop. I had two four-bladed spinners and enough Q-type blades, even the necessary stencilling. So I reasoned that the subject could well have been a Q-21 or Q-25, both of which were largely (or in the case of the Q-25 totally) exported to the USSR. The model's original early-P-39 propellor was therefore replaced with a 4-blader, which is more correct and also provides a nice contrast with the three-bladed Q-1 mentioned above.

Here it is with its new nose, and I have to say it does look more Q-like.

Sovcobra_30Apr_2.jpg

Sovcobra_30Apr_1.jpg

And with the other P-39, a Q-1-BE from the box.

Twocobras_30Apr_1.jpg

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Thanks for reading.

Incidentally, the unit is the 104 GIAP in 1944, the pilot being one Aleksei Zalayuk. If anyone knows any more about him, I'd be pleased to hear from you. The decals and colour scheme were supplied by Erik Pilawskii - cheers Erik.

Edited by MikeC

Hey! Nice improvement! Looks great sitting next to the (gray?) Q-1-BE!

I've been wondering, and perhaps you can tell me; does the P-39 Dual Combo include PE frets? I've got the Cutting Edge resin cockpit for the Eduard P-39 but have been putting off getting the actual kit for several years now and Squadron doesn't indicate what's actually included in the Dual Combo.

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

That is indeed a nice improvement. The Eduard kit is currently the only one that has the four blade prop option too, making it perfect for Soviet Kobras. I just finished up with my own P-39Q-15 build and the ole bird looks quite impressive with red stars instead of white ones.

As for if photoetch is included, I recently acquired one of the dual combo Yak-3 kits and full photoetch was included for both planes. So if Eduard is doing it for the Yaks, then they are probably doing it for the P-39s as well. I don't see why they wouldn't.

Hey! Nice improvement! Looks great sitting next to the (gray?) Q-1-BE!

I've been wondering, and perhaps you can tell me; does the P-39 Dual Combo include PE frets? I've got the Cutting Edge resin cockpit for the Eduard P-39 but have been putting off getting the actual kit for several years now and Squadron doesn't indicate what's actually included in the Dual Combo.

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

Hi OBD,

Thanks. I'm 99% certain that the "Dual Combo" includes the photo-etch, I'll have a look in the box this evening. There's a very nice decal sheet with RAF and some very interesting Soviet colour schemes.

Cheers,

Hello again,

Yes, the "Dual Combo" has two lots of etched brass, some of it pre-painted.

It's on the Eduard website http://www.eduard.cz/ - if, as I suspect, this takes you to the homepage, go to the tabs at the top and click "products", then "Aircraft Limited Edition" under "Plastic Kit ..." on the right.

HTH,

Hello again,

Yes, the "Dual Combo" has two lots of etched brass, some of it pre-painted.

It's on the Eduard website http://www.eduard.cz/ - if, as I suspect, this takes you to the homepage, go to the tabs at the top and click "products", then "Aircraft Limited Edition" under "Plastic Kit ..." on the right.

HTH,

THANKS!!!! The P-39 Dual Combo just jumped to the top of my "to-get-as-soon-as-possible" list! With the Cutting Edge resin pit for one kit and a couple sheets of CE decals that I have in my stash (with about a dozen different options including a couple versions of Air-a-Cutie) in addition to all the markings from the double kit, I should be in Air-a-Cobra heaven for quite some time!

And, once again, GREAT work on your P-39s!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog