I have just been doing F/A-18's since getting back into doing models.

After painting the inside of the intakes white, what is the best way to mask them when you are painting the rest of the plane ?

That's a good question. I usually don't give a flying rat's you-know-what because I'm a die-hard intake cover supporter. Anyway, my best guess would be to maybe stuff the intakes with tissue?

There's a bunch of people here that are a thousand times more qualified than I am to answer this question, and I'd be interested to know myself.

Oh, and BTW, welcome to ARC and I look forward to seeing some of those Hornets you've been working on :thumbsup:!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

usually i try to get some tamyia masking tape as close to the inside lip of the intake as i can then stuff a piece of sponge down the intake, trying to not push the sponge fourther than the tape, so that any paint that hits the sponge sticks it to the tape, rather than the intake. I find that the sponge adapts to the shape of the intake better than wet tissue, its worked for me so far anyway.

Just to add on to the previous post....the little make-up applicators that look like triangles work really well. You can either raid your wife's make-up drawer, or go buy a pack. They are like three dollars at Fred Meyer...and you'll have them forever.

Aaron

I use a technique similiar to adecore, but instead of sponge I use foam ear plugs. I have an ample supply of free ones from work. They conform to the intake well and I cut them to fit various sized and shaped intakes. I will usually run some liguid mask around the foam ear plug to provide a nuke proof seal.

Mark

Whose Hornets are you building, because that will make a difference?

For example, I'm doing a Hasegawa SUperhornet right now, and the demarcation line for the white intake/gray lip just happens to be right on a glue joint. SO what I did was to build and paint the intake, then "pre-emptively" mask the intake. I put Parafilm over the edge of the intake, made sure that it wouldn't interfere with the joint, and then glued the duct into the intake. So the intakes will be masked throughout the entire painting process. When I'm done, I'll just reach in with tweezers and pull the masking out.

One technique I have used is to fill the intake full of cotton balls and then mask over the top of that. It gives the mask some backing and protects the inside of the intake. The same can be done for the exhaust.