Pablo Calcaterra's SHAR

First of all, this is a cracking build and the model really looks the part. I've not heard much about the Hobbycraft SHAR before, but Pablo has made a really good model from it.

I do want to say something about his history though.

His assertion that there were actually 40 Harriers flying during the campaign rather than 20, and that the ratio of UK:Argentine fighters was nearer 4:1 in favour of the Brits, as only the Mirage III had AA capability, is inaccurate. In total 28 Sea Harriers were involved in the conflict, although not all of them were available for the entire conflict and a few were lost. The remaing Harriers he describes were RAF GR.3s that were used exclusively for close air support (thus, using Snr Calcaterra's own logic, removing them from the total number of fighters). The ratio was not 4:1 in favour of the Brits, it was in fact 20:1 as had originally been asserted, as not all the SHARs were available to defend at all times in the same way that not all of the Argentine aircraft attacked at the same time. Also, when calculating this ratio, one does not simply count the number of attacking aircraft with air-air capability. The Brits were fighting a defensive air war against not only fighters, but also the strike aircraft (the Pucaras, A-4s, Canberras and Super Etendards). Had Britain been the attacking force, then they would have only needed to deal with the fighters and yes, Pablo's assertion would be correct, however they were on the defensive and the historical assertion stands.

Overall though, for me as a historian of the conflict it was an interesting read, especially to see what is obviously the Argentine view of the war - something that is sometimes lacking in the UK. A few slight discrepencies aside (which can be put down to historical bias, and I mean absolutely no offence to Snr Calcaterra or any other Argentine people at that suggestion - I know several Brits who suffer the same affliction) I thought it was a very interesting read. It would be interesting to debate the subject with Pablo, as he is obviously someone who knows and cares a lot about the war. He also makes some very relevant comments on the effect that the Falklands/Malvinas War had on veterans and civilians on both sides, and I think it is important that we remember them as we come to the 25th anniversary of the conflict.

That's my tuppence worth anyway. I hope that you will view it as constructive and again, well done on the model and the well written history.

Edited by Bobski

This was a very interesting article. As an American raised in the UK and South America, I must say that I sympathize with the average troop on both sides. After all, when all is said and done, these are real human beings we are talking about. No matter what side they were on, they were all human beings and children of God, above all.

To illustrate my point...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eweCylGtSG8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VxXVzu6ilEs&amp...ted&search=

May those soldiers who have been killed, wounded, or have suffered from this conflict find peace.

I wasn't going to post...then I was...then I wasn't...then I was...then I wasn't...then I read this Thread.

There's no doubt that the model is very nicely done and this is the reason Snr.Calcaterra was able to post his Argentinian perspective. After all, this is a modelling forum.

That said, I think it's a slippery slope when such politics enter the ARC Gallery and should be avoided there and placed in here, where appropriate Moderation takes place.

By the time I'd read the article, I'd forgotten about the SHAR kit, even though it had been chosen out of respect for those who flew it. I was aware of the number of times the Argentine press had 'sunk' HMS Invincible and shot down Prince Andrew. I was aware of the hardships caused to the invaded, not only by the less-educated and looked after conscripts, but also by the officers in charge. The Belgrano 'debate' may rage for decades yet, but there was no debate over the loss of the Sheffield, or Atlantic Conveyor, or Galahad...all there, because a certain Dictator wanted to look good for his people.

The Americans gave us AIM-9's, the French...no.

I'll stop there and just make a plea to the site managers to keep the politics away from the Home Page Gallery. It's always interesting to hear the perspective of the other side, but when it purports to be a history lesson, I believe there's a problem.

On a modelling front, there are Falklands Conflict Group Builds happening all over the Net and it's good to see that the courage of both sets of aircrews is acknowledged.

Best Regards,

Bruce

hello1.jpg

One locked thread, two other variations on the same theme....let it go people, let it go....

To be fair, I did post this before I discovered all the s**t that had broken out on the other forum.

My introduction to my article on the Super Etendard still seems appropriate. In that article, I said;

My family and I were living in Valencia Venezuela during the Malvinas (Falklands) War. It provided a different perspective altogether. The expatriate community in Valencia consisted of families from many countries including Argentina and England. In fact, a couple who were among our best friends consisted of the wife from England and the husband from Argentina.

Everyone recognized that the invasion of the Malvinas by the Argentine Military Government was simply a means of improving the popularity of a government that was proving inept and losing popular support. Every Argentine child had been taught that the Malvinas, which lie 300 miles off the coast on the continental shelf of South America, should belong to Argentina. Also, the U.K. had seemingly forgotten the Malvinas. Most modern conveniences including TV etc. were provided from Argentina. All during the British build up to retake the Malvinas, most people were hoping that some third party (U.S.? UN?) would say "Stop this silly sh*t". That didn't happen and Argentina found that they were not prepared to fight a well armed, modern army. The Argentine military fought well and nobly but were vanquished by a better-equipped, better-trained and better-coordinated force.

Unquote.

I don't think that it is necessary to remove the Falklands/Malvinas date from ARC. We just need to keep it in perspective. If we start by removing this date, where do we stop. Someone could always publish a contrarian comment about the Anzac day but we should not continue to celebrate it.

Clare

Im not agree with the delete of Malvinas/Falklands theme days. Some months ago argentineans, british and people from other parts of the world did an enjoyable Build Group. Learning and sharing our modeler skills and historical data from the conflict. Take a ride on 2006 Completed Group Builds. For me is an example about good manners and civilised behaviour.

Cheers

Great artcicle and great model, Pablo. It was interesting read. I hope that the site mods will stick to the spirit of democracy and freedom of speech and allow all articles regardless of bias.

Tough one. I do not like the idea of someone 'stamping approval' on the speech of others. At the same time, uneducated opinions, biases and such should not be written.