Well it is the evening of the 1st of May here, so I made a start.

The cockpit is pretty basic, but to be honest, under a tinted canopy, not much can be seen at all. So far I have painted the base grey. Detail painting is next :D

It is a pity the bomb bay is designed to be open only. :D

:)

MikeJ

• 3 weeks later...

Well, another text only update.

I feel I should put text to monitor just to indicate I am actually doing something!

Cockpit is completed and attached with the fit being sloppy but location positive. There is an option to have the crew ladder lowered but the access hatch reveals a huge hole, so that throws the lowered ladder option out the window. I also added a fair bit of noseweight.

Wings together and swing wing attachments added. Now it is wing seam cleanup and cementing the fuselage together.

Pics as soon as I can take them!

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

I'm looking forward to some pics. I have a Monogram B1 in the stash and am curious as to how it builds up.

Are you planing on using the kit decals?

Cheers,

Mark

I have some Two Bobs decals to place on the kit. The Monogram sheet is pretty horrible and I have only used the instrument panel sheet decals.

I will get some pics once the fuselage is closed up.

;)

MikeJ

Pics as promised.

Main components

b1b-01.jpg

Fuselage test joined.

b1b-02.jpg

I just checked the clear parts against the fuselage and to my horror there is a huge step. Not sure how to sort this out as yet...

:(

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Tuesday night was a marathon sanding and filling evening.

The kit is not a putty monster per se, just took ages to eradicate the upper/lower fuselage half join line. Where needed I used CA and liquid paper for filler.

Still, all good now and next up is the engine nacelles.

I found a great build article by Paul Boyer in an FSM issue that mentions the "lump" in front of the cockpit. Now I have some serious sanding to undertake!

Pics as soon as something looks like it has been done.

:worship:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

I've always liked the look of the Bone. Need to see more kits if it built! I like your's so far. My dad has one in his stash, waiting in the closet for when he finally retires. How are you going about removing the step from the cockpit glass?

Mike

I've always liked the look of the Bone. Need to see more kits if it built! I like your's so far. My dad has one in his stash, waiting in the closet for when he finally retires. How are you going about removing the step from the cockpit glass?

Mike

I will attack it initially with a flat file, then test fitting the canopy constantly, use sanding sticks to re-shape the area in front of the windshield. At this rate not much of the raised panel line detail is going to survive!

I have decided to paint inside the nacelle's with flat black as painting the intakes interior white just reveals a big hole. At least with black, it hides the lack of interior detail, namely no engines!

Nose cone and tail cone are attached and joins sanded smooth, now it is time for more black paint.

B) and thanks

MikeJ

• 2 weeks later...

sanding....sanding....sanding.... :cheers:

b1b-03.jpg

Fuselage joined and seams removed. Nacelles with exterior seams removed.

Edited by madmike
  • 4 weeks later...

Baby steps currently.

However, the fuselage is complete. Now to mask and add the cockpit canopy, make good those joins and I can prime!....Finally!!!!

b1b-04.jpg

b1b-05.jpg

Sorry, not much to show so far. Once the main paintwork is on, the slope is well and truly downhill!

The fuselage went together well, but required a lot of sanding to get right.

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...

Well clear plastic is on.

Just one pic to show all just how bad the fit is in this area!

b1b-06.jpg

I stopped here and went back to my 1:72 armour project!

Once this is done, canards are added and wheel bays masked, it is priming time. So close I can taste it!

:woot.gif:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Looks real good!

Also looks like you are giving your arm a workout with all that sanding.

I keep telling my wife that modeling is a form of exercise but she doesn't believe me! :coolio:

How big is that thing? Can you place something in a future pic so we can get an idea of its size?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

David