Judging by the nose gear doors, I would say an F-104 Starfighter (probably a J model).

That is correct!

Actually it is the Revell F-104G that I'm converting into F-104J, I will just change the main gear doors!

Unfortunately the plastic used by Revell is very very soft, actually it is too soft to work with it he usual way. You must use the minimum quantity of glue, be very carefull in using blades and sand paper. You also won't press parts too much in this kit or you will modify the shape of them!!

67gshso.jpg

I didn't use any putty on this model, the two small gaps I found during the building were filled with thin pieces of plastic strips as you can see here above (Evegreen stripe is visible in white on the nose section).

4xv3t4m.jpg

53sy1q0.jpg

Mr. Surfacer was used to fill all other imperfections and to cover those terrible ejection marks on the lower part of control surfaces.

6hdwbbt.jpg

The parachute box was cut to be replaced by a resin piece by CE.

I masked all dieletric panels and spryed them with a tan colour.

4r2sl7p.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio

I'm using Eduard Mask to cover the panels that should remain in sand colour but, as you can see, the mask is a little shorter than needed:

6gxs3nc.jpg

I'm using Mr. colour enamel paints on this project. Paint was spryed dyrectly over the naked plastic and I works very well. much better than Gunze acrylics I use more often...

6gk0ahw.jpg

624emtg.jpg

4mkecmo.jpg

I'm going on with the camouflage. The darker blu shade is made by mixing 3 Mr. colour laquers: 2 grays and a drop of Blue Impulse blu.

522u0ib.jpg

I'm not the best one to tell this, but I really like how is going on:

6ew2gdh.jpg

6ako3ye.jpg

5ymcxas.jpg

After suffering badly with all those stencils in the F-2b, now I choose an aifram devoid of most of them. These aircraft was repainted at Squadron levels and only the major stencils were masked off (not as they do nowadays with the Agressors!).

Hasegawa istructions are not complete here and didn't tell you to add a white base under the NO STEP stencils on control surfaces. The white is the base colour of the wings before the blue-gray paint was spryed over.

66mb777.jpg

5zoqbd2.jpg

Fitting the canopy was not perfect. I masked the zone (yes, I know I should have done it before painting the fuselage!) and covered it with Mr. Surfacer, than I sanded untill the joint become good enought.

5xrfhpt.jpg

already finished????

4u2q786.jpg

not so!

The one here above is in 72 scale and I made it back in 1990, the new 48 scale one will come with the same markings but I hope it will be much better!

and now you can see the big brother with decals on and a coat of Future to protect them. Unfortunately decals were more than 10 years old and din't work that well, but to model this plane there is no other choice.

6buy45w.jpg

5yuqxqd.jpg

4t8zvhi.jpg

4ubo2u8.jpg

Ciao Paolo, that is looking good! You work very fast, just ten - eleven days to reach this result?

More or less, maybe 15.

We had a lot of holydays in late April/May here in Italy.

The 25/4 was a national holyday as well 1/5 so I close my office the 30/4 too and was able to work to my kit from 28/4 to 2/5 without interruotion.

Now I have to rework the seat since it wil not fit to the kit, I forgot to remove the raised part from the kit cokptit :cheers: !

Need to add the missiles launcher and made a dummy Sidewinder.

Finally all those gears need to be added to the canopy, it will be the harder part!

Wish me luck

Cheers

Paolo

Paolo, excellent job on your "J".

Thanks for the link, by the way. Also, I didn't know the "J carried two different types of ejection seats, or perhaps it is peculiar to the "J"?

Also, did you apply white paint as a background for the "NO STEP" stenciling or is it white decal stripes?

Thanks for the heads up on the Revell kit. Is that model from the original Hasegawa mold injected with Revell plastic? I do have the a Revell F-104G with a special scheme, the blue/white scheme with diamond-shaped details.

Thanks for any info you may be willing to share.

Another super job "por la maquina constructora Italiana" ;)

Happy Modeling!

Riö<*>

Semper Fi!

Paolo, excellent job on your "J".

Thanks for the link, by the way. Also, I didn't know the "J carried two different types of ejection seats, or perhaps it is peculiar to the "J"?

No, the J only had the Lockheed C-2 seat but I have a Black Box resin set that come with the Martin Baker seat too, so I painted both seats for future project.

Also, did you apply white paint as a background for the "NO STEP" stenciling or is it white decal stripes?

It is a piece of white decal.

Thanks for the heads up on the Revell kit. Is that model from the original Hasegawa mold injected with Revell plastic? I do have the a Revell F-104G with a special scheme, the blue/white scheme with diamond-shaped details.

You have the same kit I used for my J, I only repplaced the main gear doors and the control panel. The Revell kit is just the same as Hasegawa one but is is printed in a very soft plastic not so easy to work with.

ciao

Paolo

Ok, I can say it is finished now. It has been my very first Gruop build and I really enjoyed it. I meet in the web many of you and make many new friends worldwide, I think that is was Group Build are for.

Now with just a month before the ending time I think I will not try to start another one, will never be able to finish it in time since with 36° Celsius here in Italy, time for modelling is running low!

See you all in the next Group Build.

Paolo

4r2zr6x.jpg

4zc4qx3.jpg

63m8ol1.jpg

62hic8o.jpg

Edited by Paolo Maglio