What you get. Some of those parts are for the slot car version.

ferr501a.jpg

Hey, kit and builder are the same vintage! Karma?

ferr501b.jpg

Detailed underframe, eh? Guess Ferrari designers went for the minimalist approach for front suspension . . .

ferr501c.jpg

By contrast the rear suspension is a monument to the moldmaker's art.

ferr501d.jpg

Some of the slot car parts. Anybody want a racing driver head? He's got his race face on . . .

ferr501e.jpg

Actual work done? Umm . . . I glued the undernose piece on. More to come . . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Just a shot to prove that I'm doing something . . .

ferr512a.jpg

Belly pan has been primered, then shot Tamiya Italian Red, with further embellishments as seen above. I may paint the springs a contrasting color too. Not sure why I bother as any contest judge who looks underneath this thing will laugh out loud.

The inside of the body (fenderwells) has been painted also. As soon as I can find/make a suitable painting stand I'll be able to start primering and smoothing the part that shows. Funny, I don't seem to have any wire coat hangers . . . .

I sprayed the interior tub red, then had a go at brush-painting the molded-in seats with PollyScale black. Made a wretched mess of it. The Tamiya red, being rather translucent, is not ideal for touching-up; I haven't decided if I'll 1) touch up as best I can and hope the glitches aren't too obvious, 2) strip the whole thing and try again, or 3) spray-bomb the whole thing flat black and hope nobody produces an original photo proving that it wasn't. <_<

Edited by gearheadrandy
I sprayed the interior tub red, then had a go at brush-painting the molded-in seats with PollyScale black. Made a wretched mess of it. The Tamiya red, being rather translucent, is not ideal for touching-up; I haven't decided if I'll 1) touch up as best I can and hope the glitches aren't too obvious, 2) strip the whole thing and try again, or 3) spray-bomb the whole thing flat black and hope nobody produces an original photo proving that it wasn't. :rofl:

I totally sympathise. Painting over black is not easier, particularly over red!

Looks good so far though :lol:

;)

MikeJ

• 2 weeks later...

The glacial modeler checks in. Hey, there's been a lot of good racing on TV lately . . .

ferr528a.jpg

World's sloppiest rally stripe? Naturally the first coat of primer merely made obvious all the glitches I'd missed. Nose area still needs attention.

I decided to strip the interior tub. When attacking Tamiya primer, oven cleaner (an extremely caustic chemical) proved rather less effective than strong language, jumping up and down, or the secret Navajo incantations taught to me by my maternal grandfather, Dances With Sprue. On the advice of others I am now using rubbing alcohol, which is working, albeit slowly. Maybe another day of soaking and the rest of the @^%$# paint will be persuaded to depart, begone, and good riddance.

• 4 weeks later...

Still plodding along, here. The nose is far from perfect, but I'm tired of messing with it so it's on to the next step. Got a coat of red on:

ferr619a.jpg

It looks nice in that shot, but some areas are Orange Peel City. Where'd I leave the Micro-Mesh?

Here's the interior tub: primered, painted, messed up, sworn at, stripped, scraped, cussed at, re-primered, and re-painted. I'm almost afraid to try to paint the seats again . . .

ferr619b.jpg

The glacial modeler checks in. Hey, there's been a lot of good racing on TV lately . . .

I decided to strip the interior tub. When attacking Tamiya primer, oven cleaner (an extremely caustic chemical) proved rather less effective than strong language, jumping up and down, or the secret Navajo incantations taught to me by my maternal grandfather, ...snip... Maybe another day of soaking and the rest of the @^%$# paint will be persuaded to depart, begone, and good riddance.

ELO works a treat on that synthetic lacquer.

Nice work.

G

Is that a spraycan Tamiya paint you used?

Yep, Tamiya Italian Red over their Fine Surface Primer. It's been all paintbrushes and spraybombs with this model so far.

ELO works a treat on that synthetic lacquer.

If I play the Electric Light Orchestra loud enough to strip paint, the neighbors call the police. :blink:

• 4 months later...

Another Unfinished Symphony, checking in. I should have finished this simple kit by, oh, late August. Instead it gathered dust while I did no modeling whatsoever this summer. Just wasn't in the mood. I got back into it a week or two ago, but too late to finish this:

ferr1031.jpg

The headlight covers look awful and I've already pried them off for more attention. The windshield needs detailing and polishing (it's just sitting there for the photo) and the cowl area underneath it ought to be painted black. Oh, and I still have yet to mask and paint the seats!

The decals are the sort that come with their own special orange-peel texture, even when on the backing sheet, so this will never be anything but a six-footer. Should look nifty from across the room, though. Maybe in a week or two . . . .

Edited by gearheadrandy
  • 4 months later...

Just for the sake of completeness . . . here it is:

ferrfin1.jpg

ferrfin2.jpg

It turned out better than I expected, but is still a three-footer at best. This is the first car model I've built in about 30 years . . . I don't have much experience with shiny. B)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...