Well everyone, I've gotten started on my first kit for the GB! It's in the 1970's era boxing, and I've sprayed the cockpit, the seat, and a few other things with MM Enamel RLM 66 to start off. I got myself RLM 02, RLM 66, RLM 74, 75, 76 after doing some research at swannysmodels.com and a few other sites, as I'm a raw newbie to German Luftwaffe stuff. (I also have some RLM 70, 71, and 65 for a 109 I'd like to do). I'll do this bird either with the kit decals...OR in the markings of a "Butcher Bird" that ended up captured at my grandpa's airfield (St. Trond Belgium) during the Battle of the Bulge...he didn't get to fly it but he did get to see it! So I have a personal connection to that plane, if there's a decal set for it I'll get it. Anyway, here's the box:

DSCF0369.jpg

Note that the scheme on the box top looks like it's done up in 70/71/65 but I don't have any info on any 190's being done up in those colors. I thought about doing it in that scheme anyway, but I figure I'll leave that to the 109, I'd rather have different (and reasonably accurate) color schemes on my WW2 birds anyway. Especially if I do the St. Trond "Butcher Bird".

Justin

That is the very first model I ever built. I painted it with what ever paint I could get and applied every decal on the sheet in a very random fashion. I was so proud of that plane. That is until my neighbor introduced me to firecrackers :crying2:

Cheers,

Mark

Mark, I remember putting firecrackers in the back of an F-4 Phantom model in SEA camouflage. Grand times. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I airbrushed the RLM 02 and RLM 66 colors onto the interior parts and built up the cockpit, drybrushing and using my smallest brushes, and I like it. There is an issue that I found tonight...there appears to be a molding flaw on the bottom of the forward fuselage join. I'll need to fill in the resulting gap with plasticard or something like that, it's a little too big for putty. But it is on the bottom of the cowling, maybe I can cover it up? Or dig around for an undamaged fuselage half.

DSCF0370.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

DSCF0372.jpg

I'll do this bird either with the kit decals...OR in the markings of a "Butcher Bird" that ended up captured at my grandpa's airfield (St. Trond Belgium) during the Battle of the Bulge...he didn't get to fly it but he did get to see it! So I have a personal connection to that plane, if there's a decal set for it I'll get it.

DSCF0369.jpg

That's neat that you have a historical connection with this plane. Looking forward to yuor build.

Thanks...looks like I'm going to do it with the kit decals, as a practice run for the Butcher Bird that landed at St. Trond, which I'll do with the Tamiya kit. And as far as the cowling mold flaw is concerned, I've come up with a plan for it: Glue the fuselage as normal. When everything's dry, cut up a sheet of plasticard and glue it over the hole. Then glue some plastic stringers onto the plasticard until the hole is covered with them. Then use putty or 20 sec. CA to blend everything in.

Justin

Well, I've done some more work on this bird over the weekend, now she's in the middle of sanding and priming. Lots of seams to work with, particularly on the cowling, but the wing roots were also troublesome, as well as the wing leading edges. 20 second CA can cover up a lot of things. I can't say I was too thrilled at having to glue on the landing gear BEFORE painting the airframe, but that's the way this bird is set up, you can't assemble the wings and then glue the gear in. So I've had to mask the landing gear and I will need to be very careful when it comes time to unmask!

I'm doing this one as a 190A8/R3 with the big underwing cannon using kit decals. Note the Tamiya kit I bought over the weekend in the background of one of the pics, that will be my "St. Trond" captured bird.

DSCF0373.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

Thanks Madmike! If you do get it, just watch out for the cowling. It definitely looks like a 190 and its cockpit detail, though not great, is decent except for the instrument panel. I'm going to practice my airbrush and "mottling" skills with this one! I hope to have the first coat of the main camo color by tomorrow or Friday.

Justin

I've futured up the bird and added decals....using the kit decals except for the swastika. (The kit decals didn't include the swastikas, maybe for export to Europe?). I got swastikas off my Tamiya 190 kit and gingerly unwrapped the tape around the landing gear....I am SO relieved that was done without breakage! Now comes the flat coat, then the final bits and canopy work, I'll have a finished product by this time next week if not sooner.

DSCF0023.jpg

Looks great Justin, :bandhead2:

Well done on the motteling. My first few attempts with an airbrush looked like..... :wacko: .....well let's just say they never saw the light of day.

You show great promise young man. :P

:cheers:

Mark