......And their off! :worship:

Here is where I start. I'm planning on using EagleStrike decals. I'm not sure which scheme yet but will it definitely be one of the D-Day birds.

C-47_build1.jpg

Did a little dry fitting to see what I was getting myself into. I was surprised at how large it is.

C-47_build2.jpg

Next up, interior construction and painting.

:crying2:

MB

Edited by Rampage55
  • 1 month later...

A long over due update on my progress so far. I started construction on this project on the 6th of June

after I watched the D-Day episode of "Band of Brothers". Very powerful stuff. As many times as I watch it I am continually struck by the tremendous courage and skill of the Airmen and Soldiers that took to the skys in the slow, vulnerable, un-armed, Skytrains and engaged the enemy in battle. Everyone of them is a hero in my book. My display case has been lacking a D-Day C-47 for too long now, and time has come to resolve this.

I have assembled the interior bits and painted a base coat of interior green.

C-47_build4.jpg

I've also glued the wing assembly together

C-47_build3.jpg

After a little detail painting of the cockpit and interior I'll be able to button up the fuselage and attach it to the wing assembly.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

She is coming together nicely. It's actually quite a simple kit. I have the fuselage halves joined, and the horiz. stabs. and wing assembly attached. The engine cowls and engines are dry fit.

C-47_build3-1.jpg

I didn't do too much detail painting on the interior as not much would be seen anyway. However I think the

Paratrooper figures in the kit are nicely done and thought it would be neat to do a diorama with them.

I thought I would pose this guy in the door to add visual interest to this area.

C-47_build4-1.jpg

Thanks for looking,

:thumbsup:

Mark

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been a while since my last up date. Now that I've finished my Desert Storm GB commitment I've been able to focus on this build once again. Most of my efforts have been seemingly endless sanding and filling sessions. I also decided to correct my error of painting over the windows, this was a bit of a pain, but I knew it would bug me if I didn't. I was able to find some photos of C-47's with their windows painted out however these seemed to be an exception.

I have her masked and primed with flat black(Model Masters rattle can) to check my seam work. A few touch ups will be needed, but I think the monotonous sanding and filling sessions are behind me. :coolio:

I need to attach the antennas and various bit and pieces to the fuselage before I apply the first coats of Neutral Grey to the undersides.

C-47_build5.jpg

C-47_build6.jpg

I also managed to paint one of the paratroopers.

C-47_build7.jpg

I referenced the "Band of Brothers" and tried to paint the 101st Screaming Eagle on his sleeve and a white Spade on the helmet.

C-47_build8.jpg

Eventually I will be using this build as a basis for a "Band of Brothers" diorama.

Here is the rest of the cast awaiting paint.

C-47_build9.jpg

Monogram did a great job detailing these figures, however there's one thing about them that bothers me is that they all have the same face. It's like the clone wars.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Been quite a while for this build, hasn't it!

What can I say, It's been a busy summer. :salute:

I'm still plugging away at it though. Here is an up-date of my progress this weekend.

I managed to spray the bottom neutral gray, masked the de-icer boots and sprayed them black. Now this is all masked off in preparation for spraying the olive drab on the topside.

C-47_build12.jpg

After the OD had dried I applied masks cut from paper for the medium green pattern.

C-47_build11.jpg

After the masks were removed. I'm pleased with the results.

C-47_build10.jpg

Now on to the invasion stripes...... :blink:

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Thanks Raptor Supporter. :D

Things have started moving right along. I've weathered the finish a bit prior to applying the invasion stripes. I began by applying varying shades of OD. After the paint dried I gently sanded it with a fine grit paper to bring out the panel lines from underneath. It's subtle but helps break up the OD and gives it a little depth. Followed with a bit of pastel dust and silver pencil to add a little paint chipping. I'll weather it up a bit more once the invasion stripes and decals are on.

C-47_build14.jpg

C-47_build13.jpg

I've debated on exactly how to paint the invasion stripes. Considering the invasion stripes painted on the real "D-Day" C-47s were hastily applied with a brush and in most pictures I can find show these stripes to be quite rough looking. I originally thought to brush paint them on just like the real ones. However I have not had much success brush painting white, particularly over Olive Drab. So I decided to spray the white on then brush paint the black stripes on over that to give it the brushed on look. Well, that's my plan anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

Thanks for looking,

Mark

That's looking great, Rampage. I know what you mean about the stripes - had the same dilemma a couple on nights ago. I ended uptaking the easy way out and masked them off (well, that's what they look like on the instructions :thumbsup: ) Your panel lines looke really good too. I like your method of highlighting them - to me, its very effective.

Hm! very nice indeed!

For the invasion stripes, you can make.. irragular masks, instead of masking them with straight tape.

Lets say.. run an X-acto but do it without a guide, still try to make a straight line, that might give the impresion of scale hand painted stripes. Then just, spray the colors.

Only a thought :cheers:

Thanks for the input Lock n' load. :banana:

Here is what I came up with.

First, I masked and painted the white areas. once dry I highlighted the panel lines by rubbing it gently with fine grit sand paper.

C-47_build15.jpg

Then I roughly measured the location of the black stripes and made guide lines in pencil.

C-47_build16.jpg

Lastly I brush painted the black using the lines as a guide. Not too bad. A few touch ups but I fairly pleased with the result. Let me know what you think.

C-47_build17.jpg

It's getting there. Kilroy is almost here. :coolio:

Thanks for looking,

Mark

Yeah, your right. :D That's been bothering me.

I've been thinking of roughing up the edges by brushing a bit of the white paint over them. I'll experiment on the bottom.

Thanks for the comment. :worship:

Mark

Progress is continuing with the application of the decals. A few details such as painting the wheels, exhaust pipes and prop tips are left to do. After the decals are dry I will seal them with a dull coat followed by some weathering with pastel dust followed by a final dull coat.

C-47_build19.jpg

I'm hoping to have it done this weekend. :D

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Kilroy is here! :cheers:

C-47A_1.jpg

Check out the completed builds thread for the rest of the pic's.

Thanks for a great build. I never would have gotten this beast finished if it was not for the motivation of completing this project for the GB.

Cheers,

Mark