The 1 man 30+ Tomcats GB 24/11 update

That is A LOT OF tomcats. :deadhorse1:

BTW, never seen that "russian" tomcat, do you have pic og it?

actually twobobs made the decals some time back, it's on the same sheet as their NSAWC Blue Splinter tomcat. i thik it's no longer in print though, as i couldn't find it on their website. i scrounged up spares and used the twobobs decal placement sheet for reference on the colour shceme.

• 4 months later...

well it's been long.. i managed to find this thread again..

updates, my missiles and weapons have all been done, nearly 80 of them. and all of them were induividually masked for the yellow and red stripes, ot to mention the white and grey warheads, and the black sidewinder heads.. dang!

P5290044.jpg

P5290053.jpg

P5290052.jpg

P5290049.jpg

P5290048.jpg

P5290045.jpg

P5290043.jpg

weee!

Edited by Tomcat RIO

more of the russian tomcat

P5040013.jpg

P5040014.jpg

P5040018.jpg

P5040019.jpg

P5040024.jpg

P5030005.jpg

hasegawa's old 1/200 basic kits(actually they are already finished, this pics were taken long ago).

P5020027.jpg

scratchbuild an intake cover from paper and sprayed red.. to cover up the ugly kitech intakes interior..

P9170236.jpg

and then realise i needed to make some more..

P9170237.jpg

another new kitty is my vx-30 bloodhound using VF-Decals again, this time i resprayed the tail of my ex-Vf101 bird. Now i just need to add a 'D' chinpod..

P9170235.jpg

P9170233.jpg

P9170231.jpg

P9170230.jpg

*edit*found the pics of my done 1/200 cats. Tomcats ashore!, Baby!

01-19.jpg

Edited by Tomcat RIO
  • 5 months later...

wow. where have i been?!! after an absence of many months i found this thread again. updates everyone!

Intake covers! the best way to cover ugly kitech engine inlets.. made with normal a-4 paper sprayed in red, then white glued slowly onto the intake trunking.

P9170236.jpg

okay, now how about 6 of them?

P9170237.jpg

2Xkitech and 1X acad.. let's see. the 8th and 9th kitech, and the 7th academy in my stash.. all will be converted to F-14D with scratchbuild chinpods and modded cannon ports.

PA090194.jpg

PA090195.jpg

PA110202.jpg

woohoo! the last 5 1/72 tomcats in the stash for 2007

P1010211.jpg

the academy modified to a "B' tomcat

P1010213.jpg

another hase special soon!

P1010214.jpg

P1010215.jpg

fujimi special almost there.

P1010216.jpg

black bunny! using the kitech kit

bb14.jpg

4 other 72s lying round, with the 1/100

7214ip.jpg

1 year on

P1010015.jpg

was doing the decals for these 3. Since i NEVER build 1 tomcat at anyone time nowadays.:thumbsup:

P1010025.jpg

grim reapers decals from VFDecals

P1010026.jpg

Black Bunny/Playboy/Vandy1 decals from Hasegawa kit.

P1010027.jpg

Black Lions retirement from Twobobs decals.

P1010028.jpg

casted my 1st 1/72 F-14D chinpod

i used tamiya 2 part epoxy party, and the chinpod came from a Hasegawa F-14D. Crucially need as i found that modding a D pod from 2 A chin pods is hideously inaccurate by my standards..

1st - party wraps around the pod, wait to dry

14dchin2.jpg

2nd , remove and air a bit

14dchin.jpg

3rd - mould the top

14dchin3.jpg

4th - remove and air

14dchin4.jpg

5th - squeeze party to start making the cast

14dchin5.jpg

6 - i left a small outlet for the excess to ooze out

14dchin6.jpg

7 - dried and pry open, let dry

14dchin7.jpg

8 - compare with original, with a bit of trimming and sanding should be fine.

14dchin8.jpg

Now that my 1st casting is success i should be able to cast many many more, got at least 4 1/72 tomcats that need D pods.

casted 4 pods, then the mould has served its purpose, with each cast the mould gets harder to pry open, and remnantsof epoxy party spiling the detail.. such tat i had to use tamiya putty to cover some gaps, and fiil over bad areas. to be sanded down later.

casts.jpg

Also of note is that i decided to ground my VF-114 cat. With the kit's original monogram wheels. that look like toys. and 2 tanks from academy. screw the details and erros on this kit, it's a nightmare to mature modellers. but as a toy. well. movable swing wing mecahnisms together with wing glove pane.

wheelsdown.jpg

frontwheels.jpg

rearwheels.jpg

iranian tomcat begins! the last place where they still fly. using hi-decal 1/72 and academy kit

P1010101.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010103.jpg

irt1.jpg

irt2.jpg

irt3.jpg

weapons baby!

aim9s.jpg

lantirns.jpg

after touching up the pods, i added the lenses for the FLIR and TCS

pods1.jpg

pods2.jpg

and gave a wash for the 213 bird

213wash.jpg

hiding the hideous kitech intakes

213intake.jpg

213incov.jpg

213front2.jpg

213front.jpg

made from simple material - a4 paper

143cover-1.jpg

cont'd

the 143 bird also recieved intake covers

143cover.jpg

mounted the BOL rails on the D birds, as well as their chin pods

143bol.jpg

101bol.jpg

101front.jpg

and more progress on iranian tomcat, masking the front

alicatfront.jpg

h309 and dark earth, using paper templates fixed with blutack, rapidon-off, 1 piece by 1 piece for super fast

P1010053.jpg

P1010054.jpg

• 5 months later...

and the iranian cat is almost done! using excellent hi-decal decals..

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

lantirn pods are up finally.

P1010041.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010043.jpg

and for my 30th 1/72 tomcat, i decide to do a hasegawa tomcatter's jet, converting from A to D.

the plane finished assembling long ago, during december. just didn;t have time to spray. all the slats, flaps and airbrake is going to be open, so i did not glue them all, and fixed the wing sweep glove jacket in raised position.

lastcag.jpg

lastcag2.jpg

lastcag3.jpg

i also casted my own f-14 D ejection seats. the suu-117 of the f-14d differs greatly from the standard gru-7 of the f-14a and b. which has the yellow black rings on top. given my shortage of f-14D kits, and the expensiveness of buying 10 resin seats to fill up the cockpits of my many jets, i decided to cast them from the hasegawa' kit. the hasegawa is simple enough to be casted, yet contains enough detail to sastify at 1/72.

14dparts.jpg

as usual the probelms of excess, flash, sinkholes occur, and much work will have to be done.

in addition , i also casted more chin pods, and attempted to cast a Lantirn pod to test the feasabilty of making my own weapons..

14dparts2.jpg

14dparts3.jpg

also glued my self casted Naces ejection seats into the f-14Ds for vf101 and vf213.

genericset13.jpg

genericset12.jpg

stepping in! done the crews of 2 of my cats. from the fujimi kit oob.

crew2.jpg

crew3.jpg

crew.jpg

crew4.jpg

Comments and Critiscm and Feedback are all welcome!

Edited by Tomcat RIO
casted my 1st 1/72 F-14D chinpod

i used tamiya 2 part epoxy party, and the chinpod came from a Hasegawa F-14D. Crucially need as i found that modding a D pod from 2 A chin pods is hideously inaccurate by my standards..

1st - party wraps around the pod, wait to dry

14dchin2.jpg

2nd , remove and air a bit

14dchin.jpg

3rd - mould the top

14dchin3.jpg

4th - remove and air

14dchin4.jpg

5th - squeeze party to start making the cast

14dchin5.jpg

6 - i left a small outlet for the excess to ooze out

14dchin6.jpg

7 - dried and pry open, let dry

14dchin7.jpg

8 - compare with original, with a bit of trimming and sanding should be fine.

14dchin8.jpg

Now that my 1st casting is success i should be able to cast many many more, got at least 4 1/72 tomcats that need D pods.

This method is very good! Did you have to put something inside the Tamiya Epoxy Putty to prevent the plastic pod from sticking to the Putty? It looks like you used talcum powder.

Also, were your F-14D seats made the same way? Thanks in advance. :cheers:

• 3 years later...

My goodness its been 3 years already that has gone by, so much modelling in between those years and I'm back in familiar cat land!

Last I left the GB, was building 2 vf-31 wing forward and a vf-2 beat army jet. took them out and dusted them off to prepare for the road to completion after so long.

DSCN7825.jpg

in addition, while they may be number 29, 30,31, it seems another has jumped the number train and finished earlier. This is the Revell final flight, complete with WIP video, and an epic last 1 minute showing the 30tomcats in the stash then.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JEQlA0tgGC0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, after a bit of recalculations, these next 2 fujimi kits will be number 32 and 33. Both will be built in VF-31 markings

DSCN7826.jpg

DSCN7827.jpg

check out the split seams cracked from weight of stacking

DSCN7828.jpg

1 of them will use the Fightertown decals for the low viz sunset ceremony bird: to pair with the Revell hiviz one from the youtube video

edit - oops, broken link to the product.. gotta reupload my pic

the other one will be a red tailed vf-31 cdr '101' aircraft, this plus the CAG will give me modexes 100 to 103..

the fuselage is gone together

Photo0219.jpg

cockpit

Photo0221.jpg

the naca style gun vent was casted from my other fujimi cat using a rubber press mould. then using that template, i made a cast using tamiya 2part epoxy putty, and filled up with tamiya putty.

Photo0220.jpg

nozzles interior from the kit

Photo0222.jpg

in the meantime,

Tomcats, Anytime Baby!

Edited by Tomcat RIO

Tomcat RIO,

Well... just following this thread, I can thruthfully say that your tenacity and fortitude

for the task in hand has known no bounds.This has been ONE EXEMPLARY build and your

workmanship and showmmanship has been JUST AWESOME too.

Seeing all those Tomcats is just OUTSTANDING and absolutely MAGNIFICENT.

You have been ONE MAN MEAN MACHINE .BRAVO !!! :smiley-whacky084:

The models are SUPERB, FAULTLESS AND FLAWLESS {IMHO } and your enthusiam has been tremendous..Your hard work shows in the BEAUTIFUL builds and finishes.,

Being on MY own this is quite a good read and to be able to admire MY FAVORITE Jet is even better.{and to drool :blush: }

ALL THE BEST for the 32nd and 33rd Builds...WAY TO GO RIO, :salute:

KUDOS . :worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

HOLMES :yahoo::yahoo:

• 2 months later...