Not quite ready to start yet - as other nearly completed projects are cluttering the bench.

Here is the only Monogram kit in my stash - bought on Ebay in 2003, when I realised the centenary of Flight was upon us, and I hadn't celebrated this momentous occasion. :lol:

WrightFlyer.jpg

A bit of progress this weekend on the groupbuild:

The engine and transmission has been installed.

The crew are there for photo purposes. I measured then with a scale rule - both would be over 7' tall!

Monogram_WF_photo1.jpg

And from another angle:

Monogram_WF_Photo2.jpg

Enjoy - I am :lol:

The crew are there for photo purposes. I measured then with a scale rule - both would be over 7' tall!

That would be because the kit is generally agreed to be 1/39 scale. I don't know what possessed Monogram to reissue it as "1/48".

I built that one as a sprog. Looking forward to seeing your in-progress pics.

A bit of progress this weekend on the groupbuild:

The engine and transmission has been installed.

Enjoy - I am :worship:

Giants of aviation history they are :woo:

Great to see Tim, precisely what this GB is all about!

That would be because the kit is generally agreed to be 1/39 scale. I don't know what possessed Monogram to reissue it as "1/48".

I saw that kit - as i was looking for this one on Ebay. Going for quite a bit more tooo!

Has anybody built the 1/39 kit, or can confirm its wingspan?

Span for this kit is 313mm.

Bad form - answering my own question, I just went on the NASM site.

Span for the real aircraft is 12.3m

313mm * 39 scales up to 12.207m - which is close enough to convince me

that the 1/48th and 1/39 are the same kit. And a LOT cheaper as well! :)

More preparation tonight. I've built the rudder - which is that item between the pilots.

This was a difficult item as those struts were assembled in one piece, and had to be separated AFTER assembly to the control surface.

I've also painted all the other parts - so this should go together quite quickly now.

Monogram_WF_parts.jpg

Other items visible are the track used to launch the flyer, and a shovel in the corner of the box.

There's a small workbench, oil can, and G clamp - this kit enables a diorama of the boxart scene!

And now I've assembled the major components - still some more rigging left though, but I couldn't wait to show you all.

Monogram_WF_front.jpg

Monogram_WF_rear.jpg

I remember as a kid - seeing pictures of this in books, and wondering which way it went.

My son has just asked me the same question! :lol:

Looks good Tim. The rigging picks the light nicely and I like your choice of wood colour. I went a bit darker and redder, but I thinks yours looks good. It's a nice one to have made and have in your cabinet.

cheers

Grant

How did you go with the rigging?

Each strut has rigging slots to locate the cables. Other points in the flying surfaces has holes for cables.

Instructions were VERY comprehensive about the rigging - making it a really easy job :doh: .

I did make a point of clearing all these slots and holes before commencing rigging.

I used very fine fishing type nylon, and gave each location point a small drop of superglue.

Complete job took about 1 modelling evening effort - resulting in a very crosseyed Tim :) .

I would recommend this particular kit to anyone, as an easy lead into rigging.

Now - does anyone know what the box by the spade is, and what colour it should be?

wrightbrothersbook1.jpg

Now - does anyone know what the box by the spade is, and what colour it should be?

wrightbrothersbook1.jpg

Could it be their lunch box :crying:

You know me I am an expert on such things :thumbsup:

Seriously though Tim, Looking good.

Julien

I reckon it is a battery box. It has what look like wires coming from it, so that's what I built it like when I did mine. Of course could be fluff on the photo but I don't think so. You'd need juice from somewhere to get it going and there is no need to carry the battery for the flight.

So I just painted it up as a wooden box with some leads coming from it.

Nice build Tim.

cheers

Grant

I reckon it is a battery box. It has what look like wires coming from it, so that's what I built it like when I did mine. Of course could be fluff on the photo but I don't think so. You'd need juice from somewhere to get it going and there is no need to carry the battery for the flight.

So I just painted it up as a wooden box with some leads coming from it.

Good idea - thanks Grant. Probably was an early glo-plug type engine, so a battery box is a good suggestion.

I shall paint it thus.

Just to show that this thread hasn't gone cold - a photo showing all the groundkit that is included with the Wright Flyer.

Monogram_WF_accs1.jpg

I've laid Orville on his back - to try to show his monster moustache. His flight overalls are tyre grey - probably quite suited to a Panzer-driver, however he's still wearing a shirt and tie underneath.

Wilbur is bald - so you've got to decide which flight is being re-enacted. The first for mine. Wilbur is actually togged up in an Oxford Blue suit and Sea Grey waitcoat - again with a shirt and tie.

All the other kit is in various shades of wood. That battery box is black, according to the boxart.

The G clamp is painted as the one in my garage.

I'm planning to stick a sheet of sandpaper to some cardboard, and use the artifacts to permanently represent the first flight. I'll put a photo of that montage on the completed project thread at the weekend. :thumbsup: