Now I'm jealous! I had one of these unbuilt some years ago, but during my 'time away' from modeling it seems to have disappeared.

At least now I'll have the the chance to build vicariously through you - plenty of pics please, if possible.

Steve.

Slight amount of progress this Sunday morning.

I've been de-flashing and removing parting lines from this 1985 vintage moulding as the evenings pass. Today was a good day for painting.

A bit of gunmetal and aluminum on the dechromed wheels, sump and splash box.

250638642.jpg

Spray bomb matt black which came out a nice satin sheen on the engine block, running gear,

250638654.jpg250638646.jpg

floor parts, seats interior and the inside of the body.

250638653.jpg250638647.jpg

I'll be using the masking seen over the window openings as the pattern for the new glazing.

As it's such a lovely autumn day, I'll go for a swim and then see how we go later on.

G

Grant

We have a bit of a problem here, just a little one...

Both Spaced Marine and I would prefer to have you finish the kit without the glass if possible, at least for the GB anyway.

The reason?

Simply that it does blow the OOB nature of the GB out of the water and the subsequent "open the door a bit" nature would allow claims to allow further scratchbuilding to be done by any participant to their entry(ies).

This was a bloody hard decision to make. So can you complete the car without glass for the GB, by not attaching the body to the chassis at all?

:wasntme:

Mike

I concur with Mike. We've been in conference most of the night, and this was a tough decision to reach. I hope that this is not too much of a problem, but in keeping with the rules and spirit of this project it is a necessary ruling.

• 1 month later...

a kind soul, Daryl H has offered a replacement glass part for my GT. Thanks Daryl.

An update.

I have the engine and chassis together, exhausts painted and the suspension in place. A paint supply problem has been overcome and now I plan to paint the body with Tamiya TS7 Racing White. (Which is a Hasegawa decal sort of white.) A minor fit issue was effected at the front clip/guard joint. A little flash and parting lines were sanded away.

If the weather holds, photos will follow.

G

• 4 weeks later...

In my typical stop-start fashion, I managed to get the body painted in gloss white, Tamiya TS26, except the final coat ran and sagged. :wacko: I wet sanded it relatively smoothly after a couple of weeks drying in wintery conditions.

Had a bit of decision making to do re: the striping which the cars wore. Lacking the correct decals, I decided on a scheme for an Essex Wire car, but eventually discovered the correct decals in another box from the same source. So last night I commenced placing them on the model. The date on the sheet puts this release at 1994, so they're those old thick markings with the glue that makes the white residue. :tumble: Joy.

Lots of Mr. Mark softer later they went down all bumpy and wrinkled with a slightly yellow edge. Just like the good old days. I'll have another go at them tonight (my time) and add the numbers and sponsor stickers.

Left to do once the shell is finished.

Detail the instrument panel and roll-over structure.

Assemble the interior and fit to the body.

Finalise chassis and exhausts.

Foil the window frames and wipers.

Meanwhile, I'll be getting ready for the Grumman F6F-5.

G

• 1 month later...

Had a bit of modelling time available to me while manning our club stand over the weekend.

Between shopping expeditions The sub assemblies gradually came together.

The shell.

277147638.jpg

Donk in the chassis.

277147642.jpg

under the chassis

277147640.jpg

The rear shot shows just how the old decals are going.

277147641.jpg

I managed to get the whole of the old girl together by the end of Saturday, it needs more trim work, the grille and general tidying-up, but may yet be subject to a week long soaking to remove the decals.

G

I did see an old Monogram classic build on one of the stands.

277147512.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I've finally arrived home while the sun is shining, so I popped out onto the back verandah and made some photos of the nearly completed model.

I still have a bit of detailing to do to the grille, badges, door handles and a dozen other points on the model. But as time is slipping away, I'm not going to get a modelling session in before the GB closes, 'Here She Is!'.

285901827.jpg

I'll put a few others in the Completed Models thread at the top of the page.

Thanks to MadMike and Spaced Marine for hosting the build, DarylH for finding and sending a spare set of windows and the rest of the crowd for their participation.

G

I'm going to build a Y2007 kit now. :doh: