Hi all,

Blimey, last time I looked there were only two topics in here...guess we're all eager eh?

Here's a quick box-art pic of my entry. This was an E-bay win bought especially for the build as I had nothing in the stash (though I did build plenty as a kid)...

IMG_5947.jpg

I'm hoping to get started on the cockpit at the weekend.

Here's to a good Gb :beer4:

Steve.

[edit - meant to add that this will be made as the two-seater using the optional parts in the box].

Edited by Bennygmanuk

Steve

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

A somewhat washed out image, but here is my build.

Do335-01.jpg

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Thanks, Mike - that certainly gives me something to aim for!

Raptor: It's all about the memories mate, that's why I enjoy these nostalgia builds. Having said that, this kit also has more interior detail (including both engine compartments) than a lot of modern kits. It's something that struck me about Monogram at the time, they seemed to be ahead of the game in many respects.

Not sure if the engines will be exposed on this one. I'm thinking yes, but being a coward I might wait and see how they turn out first.

Steve.

Awright!

I like this kit better than Tamiya's simply because it seems to have a "better" shape when completed. It's good to have at least one of these included.

Daryl J., enjoying everyone's posts

Glad to have you along Daryl.

I got the cockpit parts assembled and primed today - hopefully putting some colour on tomorrow. I'm just starting to get a feel for the size of this thing in 1/48, it's a bit of a beast!

There's also a surprising amount of internet pics / ref's out there, I was able to get some good ideas from them. One question though, Monogram don't provide a stick for the rear cockpit, anyone know if this was correct; was it just an instructor's position?

Steve.

Steve

The twin seater as provided by Monogram is a trainer version, not a night fighter version IIRC

If you wanted a true twin seat night fighter then the later Tamiya kit is the best option.

:cheers:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike
  • 2 weeks later...

About time for an update...been having some fun with this one :whistle:

Here you can see the tabs I attached to the upper decking so that when assembled it splayed out the fuselage sides for a decent fit. Also visible is the section of sprue inserted to push out the lower fuselage sides to give a better fit with the wings...

IMG_6091.jpg

This one shows the plastic strip shims used to fill the gap between the gun panel and the forward fuselage...

IMG_6093.jpg

And finally, where I'm at at the moment...

IMG_6094.jpg

The fit has been challenging on this one. I think it's because the engineering is quite complex due to the open engine panels and the choice of decking for the single and two seat versions. That said, Mike will probably say his went together like a dream, in which case ... it's all my fault :lol:

I've a feeling that as long as I don't destroy it along the way this is going to be be quite an impressive model - it's certainly bigger than I'm used to and I think I'm beginning to see the attraction of 1/48th!

Steve.

The fit has been challenging on this one. I think it's because the engineering is quite complex due to the open engine panels and the choice of decking for the single and two seat versions. That said, Mike will probably say his went together like a dream, in which case ... it's all my fault :lol:

I've a feeling that as long as I don't destroy it along the way this is going to be be quite an impressive model - it's certainly bigger than I'm used to and I think I'm beginning to see the attraction of 1/48th!

Steve.

Steve. I had fit issues as well. The nose was a bit of a putty black hole actually.

It is looking great though!

:cheers:

MikeJ

• 3 months later...

I can't believe it's three months since I last posted - I had to page though five pages of posts to find my thread again! There's been a lot of filling and sanding in the meantime, but it's finally finished.

Apologies for the quality pf the pics, I've lost the mounting plate for my camera so I can't use a tripod at the mo'. I'll post up some sharper ones when I can, but here's a few to prove that the job's done...

web1.jpg

web3.jpg

web2.jpg

Quite pleased with how this turned out. I haven't built a Monogram kit since I returned to modelling, but as I said before it's amazing how much detail they moulded into the parts back then. Sure, it's a bit clunky maybe but when you consider that the whole engine bays are moulded in a single piece including the fuselage half then it's a very ambitious bit of work. The downside of that is that it makes construction tricky with far more joint lines than usual and a more flimsy assembly with all the cut-outs. Good fun though, and a very worthwhile project.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygmanuk

Thanks guys - makes the effort worthwhile.

As for the scheme, I'm no expert but; apparently at least two airframes were captured by the allies. One ended up in France and at least one made it back to Farnborough where it was evaluated until being lost in an accident (sadly, I believe taking the crew with it). Since I finished this one I've seen a pic' of a very similar finish (nat metal nose) but with the RAF roundel apparently applied over a US one. My model is a literal interpretation of the Cutting Edge decals sheet instructions with RAF marking over sprayed-out German ones, nat' metal nose and upper wings and a light blue underside.

Can't swear it's authentic, but it makes an attractive model.

Steve.

Edited by Bennygmanuk
Looks fantastic Steve! I was afraid this was a forgotten build, but the end result looks well worth it. The clean build and sharp scheme gets a big :bandhead2:

Thanks mate,

Never actually forgotten, but plenty of times I looked at it and thought "I really can't face anymore filling/ sanding just now!" :D

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...