Started last night:

baraboo002yl8.jpg

As mentioned, all my builds will be just as the instructions instruct, and as I would've built them when I was (maybe) 12. The only exception is that I'm not finished with them already, and I'll probably skip on buying a bunch of Testors glossy paints in the little square bottles ;)

Interior surfaces are brush painted (as it all will be) and I have a start on the pilot. And I suck at figures...

Ken

I'm brushpainting everything-just like the good ol' days :o

Tonight's progress-center section buttoned up with working retracts and folding wings:

f6fjr1.jpg

The plastic is getting pretty brittle, so I hope it has more than a few working actions left in it. And this thing should be done by now-I must be gettin' old :thumbsup:

Ken

A bunch of these older Monogram kits have working features that I use to LOVE building. I've heard several people say that these kits are more toy-like than anything.......I guess I'm just a kid at heart.

Yup-modeling was so much easier back then, wasn't it :rofl:

Here's an update/tip for anyone building this; the locator holes for the pilot's bulkhead is misaligned when installed as per design:

f6f001ih9.jpg

The bottom hole is too far back, making it lean forward. I'll glue it in place with the top peg in the hole and the bottom one forward of it:

f6f003qb6.jpg

Not exact, but who cares-it's a fun build!

The GF is off to visit her daughters this weekend, so I might just finish this one up this weekend <_<

Ken

Yup-modeling was so much easier back then, wasn't it :rofl:

Here's an update/tip for anyone building this; the locator holes for the pilot's bulkhead is misaligned when installed as per design:

f6f001ih9.jpg

The bottom hole is too far back, making it lean forward. I'll glue it in place with the top peg in the hole and the bottom one forward of it:

f6f003qb6.jpg

Not exact, but who cares-it's a fun build!

The GF is off to visit her daughters this weekend, so I might just finish this one up this weekend <_<

Ken

Oh yeah, love that pilot! That same guy is in a couple of my builds. He's a great cockpit filler when all you have is a bulkhead and a decal instrument panel.

...and what fun wedging the paper decal panel to fit between the pilot's legs :woo:

All buttoned up:

f6f004editej1.jpg

And for the moment, the retracts work. I'm a little concerned about how long it lasts, as brittle as the plastic is.

Ken

Monogram Memory Moment:

The directions call for lubricating the landing gear and wing swivels right? Back in the late 1970's, I used a *ton* of vaseline on each moving part of the Hellcat. As it turns out, the kit lasted right up until after I left for college. The vaseline turned rancid and stank up the room for years.

Daryl J.

Edited by Daryl J.

Yup-they suggest vegetable oil. IIRC, when I was a kid I used 3-In-1 oil on something along the line (Avenger kit maybe?) and it didn't last long :doh:

Progress check:

f6f005nn8.jpg

f6f006sq7.jpg

I was right about brittle plastic-the locking peg on the bottom of the right wing snapped and went-a-sailin'. I've reglued the upper peg about 5 times now and I hope it holds this time-it's all that holds the wing up. And this seems to be large for 1/48 scale.

Lotsa cleanup to do. Paint and mount the ordnance, canopy, and paint the bottom of the plane. The directions specify not to paint the top :o

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Something of a progress report:

f6f007lu7.jpg

f6f008gs8.jpg

f6f009en9.jpg

f6f010td9.jpg

...and keep in mind that this isn't supposed to look good-it's supposed to look like I built it 30+ years ago :beer4:

I painted the bottom with a bottle of Model Master Light Gray, and it was a train wreck. Thin spots, brush marks etc. After looking at it for a couple of weeks I came upon a little square bottle of Testors Gray. Glossy, and just what the doctor ordered. And this is per the instruction sheet call-out, right or wrong. I'm sorely tempted to paint the blue on top as the seams really show in the dark plastic, but in the end I think I'll live with it.

The tape on the wings is to keep them from flopping around while I work on it. And as you can see, I've already lost a gear door :tumble:

Ken

Edited by WymanV
  • 1 month later...

Loooong overdue update!

After much hemming and hawing and teeth gnashing, I decided to paint the blue on top as well. All the seams cleaned up fairly well, but they were all lighter than the surrounding plastic and that looked really bad. So the top is now MM GSB and decaling is underway (finally):

F6F012.jpg

F6F013.jpg

The kit decals were absolute crap of course, but I found a suitably awful set to use from an old Arii build-horribly yellowed and everything :thumbsup: But at least they stick without going potato chip on me, and they fit right in with the spirit of the build...

Ken

Hi Ken,

I'm certain you guys know this so please excuse

me if I'm covering old ground...but rather than

use yellowed decals as you find them - restore them!

Tape them to the window and let the sun bleach

out the yellow. Works great!

I have several sheets at the "bleaching station"

now. :banana:

David

MVC-498F.jpg

Edited by 96Delta

I've done that in the past with a set of AMT A-20 decals with good results, but the glue was milky too-in the end I couldn't save them. I would've done that here too (or opted for a different set), but I think the yellowing keeps this in the spirit of my build. Trust me-it's not supposed to be my best work :woot.gif:

Ken

Yeah, he makes the difference doesn't he :D

Done. Pics in the Completed Builds thread:

F6F022.jpg

I think I'll take the Helldiver a little more seriously...

;)

Ken

You got me smiling here in Hooterville......looks just like my little table in the basement in 1966.....complete with little square bottles of Testors enamel..........cool!!!

Now that's a true Monogram Classic, I love it! Although the technique 96Delta talked about with the yellowing of the decals and letting the sun bleach them out is a great truth I think the the yellowish decals kinda add to the "Classic-ness" of it!! WELL DONE!